~30~

Anton

We spent the night combing over various books from my private library while the rest of the pack slept peacefully unaware of what might be lurking outside of the pack borders. Fairy tales, mythology, you name it we read it. Nothing could be found of Malar. When the sun began to rise, we finally decided it would be best to get some sleep, and start again later.

Amaris had fallen asleep rather quickly, the heat no longer affecting her quite as much with me in the same room. But I couldn't find it in me to fall asleep myself. Images of the gray wolf continued to flood my mind, and I would wake in a panic any time I drifted off.

"Can't sleep?" Amaris turns to look at me, hair disheveled, eyes still heavy and tired.

"No. Go back to sleep though, the rest of the pack isn't awake yet."

"What's on your mind, Malar?"

"Yeah, I just don't like not having any answers." She nods thoughtfully, and reaches her hand out to touch my arm, familiar sparks flying through my body. I shiver.

"You won't find any answers lying awake either. Try and rest, we'll look again later today." I nod and close my eyes. As Amaris continues to stroke my arm with her fingers, sleep finds me easier.

Vance, Emi, Monday, Laura, Amaris, and I all meet later in the kitchen once we're all awake. Laura scrambles eggs and Emi pours some of us coffee before we gather around the small dining nook. We decided not to eat with the pack today with sensitive subjects to discuss.

"We need to go talk to Cecilia," Vance breaks the silence and Monday nods. "Maybe try and recruit more members into the warrior section."

"I can talk to her, she likes me best." It was true, Cecilia did like Monday best. She was the top warrior in her division when she finished training, which is why I picked her as my Gamma.

"Can I come?" Amaris speaks up. "Maybe I can talk to her about what the wolf felt like, what she needs to be prepared for.

"If you do that she's going to ask how you were able to feel the energy of the wolf. I don't think that's a good idea," I mostly didn't want her being around the warrior class of wolves. Most were unmated and typically men. Was I going to say that out loud? Absolutely not.

"I still want to come."

"Then you, Monday, and I can all go. I should be there regardless." Emi chuckles into her bowl of eggs shaking her head. "What?"

"Absolutely nothing."

"Good, we can leave in five minutes." I stand from the table to grab some things, then head to the front door to wait for the girls.

We walk to the training grounds in relative silence. When we get closer I can start to hear the grunts of the warriors and clashing of knives. Cecilia is standing off to the side, her red hair pulled back into a sleek ponytail.

"Cecilia," I call out and motion for her to come over to us.

"Alpha," she bows her head. "I filled in more guards around the perimeter you told me about yesterday."

"Thank you, but we're here to find better solutions than just moving guards around. The amount of rogues around the borders has grown, we need more people."

"I don't have any more people, the graduating class doesn't finish their training for another few months."

"Have them finish early, a few more months isn't going to make much of a difference. Not having more people at the borders will," Monday's demeanor around our friend group has always been light, but around Cecilia her harsh warrior background shows.

"I can't do that, they're not ready." Cecilia looks at me with pleading eyes.

"Get them ready in a week, bring up the other classes and start recruiting in the next batch of potentials. The pack's safety is on the line." My alpha tone is clear, leaving no room for argument. Cecilia nods.

"I need to get back to work then, sort this all out." I nod.

"Thank you Cecilia." As Monday and I turn to leave I hear Amaris call out.

"Cecilia, can I have a quick word?" What the hell?

Cecilia turns back to Amaris. "Yes? You are?"

"Amaris, I'm a distant relative of Emiline's. I was wondering if I would be able to train with the new recruits you bring in?" Over my dead body. A growl makes its way out of my throat and I answer before Cecilia has the chance.

"No." Amaris whips her head around to look at me.

"And why not?"

"You have no experience, and I'm not having you get hurt." Cecilia raises her eyebrows, loving to see me lose my temper.

"It wouldn't hurt to have her train a bit, I would argue that she would be more safe with some training under her belt. Everyone else in the pack does." Monday argues.

"I can have someone on the team train her on the side," Cecilia suggests. "She wouldn't have to compete in the ring." Amaris looks at me with pleading eyes.

"I need to get out of that house Anton, and if something happens I want to know how to defend myself. In a normal way." She stresses the word normal, and I know what she means. I rub my hands down my face.

"Fine. Fine! But only side lessons." The girls smile, and I feel any control I have over them deplete.

"I'll have your instructor waiting for you tomorrow, 7 A.M. sharp," Amaris nods at Cecilia and we begin to walk back to the pack house. Ready to find more answers about Malar. 

a/n 

I know this is a little short but I didn't have a ton of time to write today. I hope y'all enjoy, make sure to comment and vote! Love you all. 

xoxo, 

EA 

Question of the chapter: What is your dream job?