~1~

a/n
Hello any lovely readers that might be out there. It's been a long while since I have written, almost three years actually, and recently I've missed it. It took reading a few moving works to push me to write this, and while it certainly may not be the best thing I've ever written or will ever write, I hope that it moves someone in the ways a handful of solid wattpad novels have truly moved me into writing again. If any lovelies are reading this know that I am so grateful and hope you enjoy my story.

~
Amaris

I walked along the river bank slowly, talking in my surroundings. The air was slightly chilled and smelled like the start of autumn was just around the corner. The forest was holding on to the last bit of green it had in it before it would succumb to the red and orange hues. I smiled as I reached my usual spot, the slightest waterfall at the end of the stream, you would miss it if you weren't paying close attention. I slid off my white cotton dress, folding it on top of a nearby stone, and lazily floated into the cool water. I sat taking in the noises of the birds and the rustling of the leaves feeling relaxed after a morning of gathering. After my relaxing moment I began to scrub the dirt that sat on my skin into the water, watching it become a light mud color before passing on and turning a clear shade of blue again. Once cleaned, I waded back to my stone, stepping out to air dry before slipping my dress back over my head, and grabbing my basket I'd also placed nearby that was filled with various roots and berries I'd need for the next few weeks.
My home wasn't far from the stream, just a few miles but I could reach it in a matter of seconds, I was fast. I dodged fallen trees and branches as I sprinted barefooted into the woods before finally reaching my destination. A cave hidden within vines came into view, I pushed them out of the way revealing a small room with a cot, fire pit, a piece of mirrored glass, piles of hand weaved bins, and a cooler I'd made myself with stones and cool water that was used only on occasion for leftover meat I didn't eat that day. It was simple and mine alone. I'm sure I could have built it up in some way over the past 18 years, but it didn't seem important then, and still didn't now. It was just somewhere to come back to at the end of the day. I organized my items from the basket and placed them into my bins, I sighed when I realized I had forgotten my pitcher for water and would have a dry mouth for the night. It's fine I'll just have to go tomorrow I told myself. I sat down on my cot taking a breath and letting it out. "Another day." I said to myself. I had been alone my whole life, lived in these woods. The only contact I ever got from another wolf was the occasional rogue passing through or some pack member stepping a little too far outside the borders. Neither one stayed long, I made sure of it. Truth is I didn't totally know where I came from, where my parents were, if I had any, too be honest I felt as though I had been plucked from mid air and placed into the world, by magic. I yawned and decided it was probably better to turn in early because I had planned on training most of the next day and would need my energy. I grabbed a soft gown from my bin of clothes I kept by my bedside and slipped into it, then drifted off, my mind empty as sleep easily overtook me.

I woke up the next morning with the sun beaming through the cracks of the vines, hitting my eyelids. I stretched before getting up and making myself a bowl of berries I'd gathered. I plopped each one into my mouth savoring the bitter sweet taste they left on my tongue. After throwing on a new dress, I left my cave. I stood for a second at the entry feeling something different in the air, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was, but it felt new and exciting. I pushed the feeling away and walked to an open field nearby. I took a breath and stripped, letting my dress fall to my side, taking in another breath I began to shift knowing I wanted to go on a run before my training began. Fur grew from my skin and my nails began to gain length as my bones cracked into place. As soon as it was over I danced around the field feeling the wind brushing through my fur and through my ears, it was such an exhilarating feeling, one I almost can't describe. After my quick run I shifted back into my human state, now the work begins. I take a deep breath and let the energy flow through me reaching my finger tips, I close my eyes and breath out letting the energy go with it and into the ground beneath me, I feel it leave my body and when I open my eyes I watch as a field of wildflowers emerges from the soil. I nod to myself as the warm up continues. Deep breath. I focus on the energy again and link it to what my mind is asking, and as the wind picks up its pace and starts to shift the trees I know I've done a job well done. I smirk as I continue to pick up the storm I've made, and paint the sky with grey clouds, perfect I think complimenting myself. One more push. Deep breath. Rain. The sky pours down on me soaking my body and I smile. I dance around in the rain for a bit before one final touch. Slow I rub my fingers together, and soon enough I get the spark I'm looking for. I take it and flick it up to the clouds and lightning and thunder follow. I think about my next move. Looking at my palms I try to decide if I'm ready, I push the energy to my hands and feel them begin to heat up and crackle, but quickly stop myself, not today I decide. With a quick hand movement everything retreats back into me, I jump a little from the feeling that I never quite got used to. That's enough for today I decide, and turn my back on the field, drifting back into the forest as if nothing had happened at all.

Hehe... the first chapter done. I know it's short but I wanted the first chapters to set the scene and introduce the characters, they'll pick up soon I promise. I'm sure you've probably wondered why I left out the physical description of Amaris. This was intentional. You'll find out soon enough I pinky swear, but for now just use your imagination. XOXO -EA 🌻