~23~

Amaris

"So when are we leaving?" I ask.

"Whenever you're ready. I don't want to rush you. Today has been a lot." I move up from the ground, and Anton follows suit.

"Yeah it has." I sigh. "I just want to get a few of my things together, and then I should be good." Anton nods, and motions towards the entrance of the cave.

"I'll wait outside for you. Take your time." He leaves, and I let out a breath I hadn't known I'd been holding.

After only a few minutes, his demeanor had changed. He was calm, nice even. Anton was not the annoying, overbearing Alpha he'd been. It was as if a switch in his mind had gone off. In a way I guess one had. Not feeling the pressure of being a mate was relieving to me, so I'm sure it was to him as well.

I picked out a few of my cotton dresses, and one of my baskets to carry them in. I don't really need it but I had spent so much time making them it felt a waste to not bring at least one with me. After I had gathered my things I took a slow turn around my home, taking in every inch. "I'll be back, I promise." I whispered to the cave before walking to the opening where Anton had been waiting for me.

"Ready?"

"As ready as I can be." Anton nods and starts walking back towards the pack land.

Since it was dark out,  it would take awhile to get back, and with Anton looking over his shoulder at me every five seconds it was going to take even longer. "How about we shift and run the rest of the way? This is going to take another half hour." Anton shakes his head.

"Too risky with the rogues being at the border, we can't mind link and running will be way too loud. They'll be able to hear us, I don't want to take the risk." I sigh.

"Taking forever to get back is also a risk."

"Please keep it down. They might be around us."

"No one is around us."

"These are not normal rogues Amaris, they've been lurking in the dark untraceable for the past three weeks. We do this my way." I huff.

"Your way might not be the right way." I was raising my voice at him, and as Alpha I could tell he wasn't pleased.

"Neither is yours. Please shut up, I'm trying to get us back safe and out of trouble."

"You did not just tell me to shut up." I wasn't exactly yelling at him, but I was definitely talking above my normal volume. He asks me to come back, asks to be friends, and now he's acting like such an arrogant di-

Before I can finish my thought a twig snaps in the distance. Anton's head whips around staring daggers at me. "Don't move." He mouths. I give him a slight nod, and he begins to slowly make his way to me, reaching for my arm.

He doesn't make it all the way to me before a dark shadow comes rushing towards me, knocking me over. I close my eyes waiting for the impact of the ground.

When I open them again I realize it is not a shadow at all but an enormous dark grey wolf. He growls at me showing off his teeth, and pushes his paws into my shoulder blades. I wince at the pain.

I deep growl erupts from behind the wolf, and I can tell it's Anton from the power behind it. The wolf pays no attention and inteads snaps its jaws at me, while I try and push his neck away. My arms aren't strong enough and the wolf is able to bite into my shoulder. I scream out in pain, and try and muster any type of energy to get me out of this.

But before I can the pressure of the wolf is off of me, and Anton has tackled him to the ground. I try to stand as quickly as I can, but the throbbing in my shoulder and the blood is making it more difficult.