~4~

Amaris

It had been a few days since the visit from Anton and his company. I assumed they had been his second and third in command maybe?  I hadn't come out of my cave much, worried that they might come back. After the third day of a quiet forest I thought it would probably be okay to come out. I was running out of food and couldn't sit any longer or I was sure to go crazy.

I stepped out into the sunlight and took a minute to bask in its rays before starting my day. I walked along with my beloved basket. Passing the bushes where I got my berries, walking along the stream that had gotten colder with the changing season. I took in everything as if it would disappear.

Something pulled me to the fields, I'm not sure what it was, but I felt a need to be there. I stood at the edge, still in the shade of the trees. Energy was coursing through my body, needing an escape, but I couldn't risk another storm. I hated the fear that I couldn't shake from my mind, and fear of what? Getting caught? Having a mate? Being forced to leave? Probably all of the above.  I took a step coming out from my safe spot. My eyes glanced across the entire stretch of the field, I didn't see anyone. Relieved, I took a seat in the tall grass letting it glide and grow through my fingers.

I touch my fingers to the ground, pressing them into the earth. For a moment there's a small shake, I press harder and the ground erupts. I stand up, moving my hands higher reaching them to the sky before thrusting them down to the earth again. A wide crack broke the field in half. I stopped there, and walked over to where the crevasse was. There was a deep split and I felt a little bit of pride for how far I'd come.

"I knew there was something off about you." I knew who it was, and I mentally scolded myself for thinking this was a good idea, using magic in such a big way after what had happened. I turned around and saw him standing in the trees, he must've followed me. How had I not realized? "So what are you some witchy wolf hybrid?" I laughed, if only I was that simple.
"I'm not obligated to tell YOU anything." I turned to leave.
"Wait," I could've kept going but I didn't, I wanted to stop, hear him out a bit. I glanced over my shoulder.
"Fine, follow me."
I lead him to the stream, my safe place. I knew it was risky showing him it, but it's where I felt safe. If I was going to talk with him, I wanted it to be here.
"So," I started taking a seat on a rock "what do you want to talk about?" He took a seat too.
"Well, I'd like to know your name for starters."
"Amaris."
"Okay, Amaris. How-" I cut him off.
"My turn to ask."
"Fair," he nodded, I could tell he was a little annoyed, not used to being bossed around.
"Why did you come back here, you didn't," I pause but only for a second. "You didn't really seem too thrilled about the uh."
"Mate thing?" He interrupted. I nodded. "I'm not, but my wolf he's, he's been extra loud in my head, pushing me to come back here, to uh... be with you. That's not what I want," He toyed with his hands, he almost looked nervous? The great Alpha Anton, is nervous. "But it just got so annoying and I thought that, well I thought seeing you might shut him down a little."
"Did it?"
"Did what?"
"Is he.. Shut down?" He sighed
"No not really, he's still pounding in my head" I saw him visibly stiffen,  "Can you not feel it?"
"Feel what?"
"The mate pull, can you not feel it?"
"I mean," I started trying to find the right words. "I feel a connection for sure."
"That's it?"
"Well what do you feel?" He scratched the back of his neck.
"I uh, I don't," his eyes darted around, "I don't want a mate."
"You've said that." Eye roll, mature.
"I know, I just want to preface that before I explain." I nod in understandment. "I- my wolf," he corrects himself, "he wants to be around you all the time, he wants to um... smell you?"
"I feel that too, the smell." He bobs his head slow.
"And.. um touch you not in like a weird way or any-," I can tell he doesn't want to keep this going, it's making him uncomfortable.
"Well, it's your turn."
"What?" puzzled look painted on his face.
"To ask a question."
"Oh okay." He stopped and took a few seconds to look at me. "So...what are you?" He let the question out slowly. I gave him a small smirk. I felt that my life had just gotten a little more complicated, maybe a little more interesting.
"It's a little more complex than that."

a/n
helloooooo, i'm so excited I have finally finished planning out every detail of the story, which is going to make writing it so much easier. I am so excited. Also I have a question for any reader out there... do y'all want some character inspiration pics? I have a few for the characters so far but didn't know if that's something i should do or if y'all liked using your imagination more? idk let me know !! Comment, vote, and follow. love you all.
- EA 🌻