~28~

Amaris

By the time we made it back to the Pack House, twilight was setting in and the sky was several shades darker than it had been. Fall was becoming winter, and the days were getting shorter. It dawned on me how long I had been tangled up in this new life.

We climbed the stairs on the opposite side of the Manor from what I was used to and walked into a beautiful office space that was filled with the aroma of spice and pine. Anton must be in here often. Papers were splayed across the desk in messy piles with stacks of books filling any area not already covered. Anton sat at the large armchair behind the desk, while Monday and I took spots in the two chairs across from him.

"To cut straight to the point," Anton started, his tone formal, "that can't happen again." I nodded along not saying anything. "Jasper is a star warrior in this pack, his father was the previous Gamma. He's a loyal friend of mine and won't spread gossip around the pack. The same can't be said about everyone else."

"It won't happen again," I conceded, Anton nodded approvingly. "But," the nod turned into a glare, not liking when someone disagreed with him. "I have to practice using my energy somewhere. If it needs to be more secluded that's fine, but I can't stay here and not use it. It'll consume me if I don't let it out every once in a while." Anton agreed as I spoke.

"What about the backlot," Monday spoke up. That was a perfect idea, Anotn's private lot would be a great place.

"No." No? "After all of the incidents that have happened out there absolutely not, especially with the rogues. No."

"Anton there's really no other place," Monday tried to reason. She got an annoyed growl in response, but persisted. "We could add more security, have someone you trust out there with her. We need to make it safer regardless, especially with everything going on and the Pack House being so close." Large hands rubbed down Anton's face, I was beginning to pick up that was his tell he was about to give into something he didn't want to give in to.

"Fine. But only when I get enough guards out there and only when Vance, Monday, or I have enough time to go with you. How often do you usually practice out there?" I smiled, happy to be getting my way even if it meant getting babysat on occasion.

"Usually everyday, but every two or three days should be fine." Anton nodded.

"And Amaris."

"Yeah?"

"No storms." That got a small smile out of me.

"Fine, but they're the most fun." I got a soft grunt in response.

"I want to go over a few more things with you as well, if you have the time." He gave Mondy a curt nod, dismissing her.

"I've got nothing but time around here." He ignores my snide comment and continues.

"The rogues. I'm wondering if you know anything about them . I'm coming up short on answers, other packs are breathing down my neck about the issue and being absolutely no help." He mindlessly sorts through the hundreds of papers on his desk as he talks. He really needs to do some serious cleaning around here.

"I've met a few rogues in passing, but I don't really know much about the culture if that's what you mean."

"Have you ever seen them travel in groups together?"

"I mean sometimes with a mate, or in a small group no bigger than three or four. Again, most of the time I just see them passing through, not conversation or interactions." He rubs the bridge of his nose and closes his eyes for a  moment, clearly frustrated with my lack of knowledge. "I'm sorry I'm not much help."