~16~

Anton

I stand from the table and storm out the door leaving Amaris in the house. Vance had just mind linked me in the middle of our feud that a group of rogues had been spotted inside our territory near the training grounds. Rogues had always come and gone near the pack, but they have never been this reckless, actually stepping foot onto the borders.

When I get to the edge of the perimeter I find Vance and a handful of our warriors and guards standing around a bloody and bashed body. "What the hell happened?" I shout at my pack.

"There were so many of them," one of the warriors spoke up and shivered as he spoke, "they came out of the shadows from nowhere." I walk closer to the man on the ground, and lean into his chest to see if I can find a pulse, but there's none.

"Why weren't we prepared?" I ask. "There are hundreds of warriors, over two dozen patrolling this side of the perimeter alone. There is absolutely  no excuse for why this man is dead." I shout. "You are responsible for your pack member's death. Know that and work harder." I look around watching my pack feel the loss of one of our own and I feel it too. I take a breath and calm my nerves. "For now go home, get some rest. I'll have someone take over your positions for the rest of the night." The men and women race out of the area and back to their homes.  I look over at Vance. "Seriously, how did this happen? They've never come this close before, they killed one of us." My voice was hushed so no lingering ears could hear.

"I don't know." Vance looked down at the body. "Something's happening though, something big I feel." The rogues are no friends of the pack, but they sure as hell don't have the manpower to pull shit like this out of the blue.

"Get Cecilia in my office tomorrow morning," Vance looks back up at me.

"And the body?"

"Get me a pack doctor ready to look over the wounds, see what happened. Get me two Omegas to dig a grave." I sigh and rub my temples. "And get me his family in my office after my meeting with Cecilia."

"Ravi." Vance whispers.

"Huh?"

"That was his name."

"Oh, right. I'm sorry. Ravi's Family." Vance just nods.

"I'm going to head back to the house unless you need anything, spend some time with Emi."

"Yeah that's fine."

"Are you coming?" I shake my head no, and Vance turns to leave.

"Hey Vance?" I yell back at him, he smiles back at me.

"I'll make sure she's okay." I look away from him before I can give him a taste of my reaction.

A few hours had passed so  it was getting darker out. A few extra warriors flooded into position for the night. I stood at the border for a while, daring anything to come out of the trees, nothing did. Two pack members came to get Ravi and take him to the morgue at the hospital for the time being.

"Alpha?" One of the younger guards comes beside me. His name is Collins I believe.

"Yes?"

"It's getting late, shouldn't you get back to the Pack House? I don't mean to be disrespectful... but it's almost midnight." I look him over, and gaze to the other wolves that are lined along the border willing to protect the pack even if it costs laying down their life.

"No. I'm staying."

"What?"

"The night, I'm staying for patrol. Just in case."

"Oh okay," Collins retreats back to his spot. I mind link Vance that I won't be coming home and to give Amaris a shirt of mine for the night so I'm hopefully not forced to trudge back to the house later. I then pull my focus back to the forest. The forest that seems darker than ever, and I feel exactly what Vance was talking about. Something very big is about to happen.

a/n

Hey lovelies, how was this chapter? I know it was a little shorter but I wanted a chapter that was completely Anton's. Let me know what you guys think of the story so far. What do you think is going on with the rogues? Make sure you eat, drink your water, and stay safe. Love you!!

-EA