58 I Have A Bad Feeling

Sage

“Axel NO!” I hear my voice echo.

Too late.

Her body fell to the floor with a thud.

I put my foot forward but I heard a gush of wind and was immediately pushed back, a hand around my mouth. I look up to see none other than wide blues staring back at me.

“Shhhh” Nathaniel put a finger to his lips and a crack rang in my ears. I blinked wondering if I heard that right. The crease of Nathaniel’s brow told me he heard it too. My eves instinctively shot over his shoulder to see Axel drop to the floor. I felt my breath cut short and almost screamed his name. I wanted to run over to him but Nathaniel still had his arm around me.

“Not yet, Sage” he whispered “Not yet”

I understood what he meant and nodded, taking a step back into the shadows, pulling him along with me. I heard footsteps. It had to be a witch coming in to check if Axel was actually down.  But why do I smell dog?

My stomach turned when the person came into view.

“That's…”

“Stefan?” I could hear the disgust dripping from Nathaniel's tone. I felt my brows crease subconsciously and shook my head.

“This son of a bitch” I heard a salty mumble beside me yet again. It took everything in me in that moment to not rush over there and rip his spine out of his throat.

"Not yet" I heard Nathaniel's low whisper as if he read my mind.

"Hmmm" I felt my nerves on edge, my fangs scraping against my bottom lip.

I watched every move of Stefan's. He knelt down beside Axel, almost as if he was checking to see if he were awake. But he didn't have the chance to move another muscle because the next thing we saw something fly in his direction, within the blink of an eye he was pinned against the wooden wall behind him, a long log through his ribs.

My eyes immediately flew up to the door to see Xander standing over the threshold, eyes golden, fangs bare, fuming in anger with his fist resting against the door frame.

I was never happier to see Xander. I rushed over there immediately - I could hear screaming and shouting in the distance. But I had a feeling no one was getting down here anytime soon.

"Xander" I stopped at the door and watched the relief wash over his face.

"Sage…" he breathed out and glanced over my shoulder "Nathaniel…never thought I'd be happy to see you"

"Funny" Nathaniel came up behind me "We need to get out. Come on"

"What?" I turned around to glare at him. I wasn't leaving until I killed each and every one of these pests.

"Can't" I looked over Xanders shoulder to see Arabella coming up beside him.

“Arabella! Are you alright?” she looks so disheveled.

“We’re sealed in here” she shook her head, ignoring my question, looking at the door frame.

"Sage... Kinsley ran a…"

"We got her. She's safe. Ezra sent her back to Ethan" I cut Xander off and saw him breathe another sigh of relief.

The sound of a loud cough made me whip my head around to see Axel struggling, coughing. I rushed down to him to try and help him up.

"Sage...we have to get out" I heard Nathaniel's anxious voice. But my eyes were fixed on Axel who was still coming around.

"No" I growled.