34 Blood Stained Wall

Sage

"What the hell is happening Ezra?" I walked over to my brother who was standing with a worried look in the middle of the corridor.

"What's all the noise about?" Axel came up behind me.

Ezra looked at us with narrowed eyes. We were both still soaking wet....we just about managed to throw on our clothes and run out. His eyes widened as he was putting it together and glare he shot Axel told he understood enough.

"Okay" he breathed out and looked away awkwardly.

He turned around and began walking so I followed behind. He came to the balcony at the end of the corridor and stood at the door. I couldn't see past him so I moved to the side.

"No" I breathed out as I  felt the ground slip from under my feet and my body froze.

The tower across the city. My house was in flames. The fire was so big it was visible all the way across from the Palace.

"Fuck" I heard Axel whisper beside me. I felt his hand on my shoulder, but it all felt so distant. His touch. His voice... everything.

How the hell did the fire get so big without anyone noticing? All my stuff was there. Everything I own is in that house.

"I have to go" i turned around to rush out but I felt a strong grip on my arm pulling me against a hard chest.

"No you're not" Axel gave me a glare and looked back at the tower now engulfed in smoke and fire.

"Let me go" I growled.

"What are you going to do Sage? It'll take two hours to get there. That'll be too late. It makes no sense" Ezra took a step forward to lean on the railing looking at the destruction ahead.

"That's my home Ezra" I snapped at him.

"Yes I know that Sage. But its too late. Look at it" he grabbed my hand pulling me up to the edge.

I could feel the tears pricking the corner of my eyes. That was my home. My safe house. My Sanctum. And now it was being devoured by the flames.

"How did no one notice earlier?" I turned to Ezra. His eyes still fixed ahead.

"I don't know" he muttered.

"What the fuck do you mean by you don't know?" I yelled.

He shot me a glare. A warning.

"Sage" i felt Axel rub my back, trying to calm me down. It wasn't working.

Something hit me.

"Where's Natty?" I looked up at Ezra and I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I knew the rest would follow soon if I didn't hear what I wanted to.

He whipped his head back towards me, wide eyed in realisation, running his hand through his hair in frustration.

I understood.

I felt my knees almost give way. I had to hold onto the railing to keep my balance. The hot tears now streaming down my face, my mind clouded by a possibility I did not want to accept.

Ezra pulled out his phone and dialled. He put the phone to his ears but all we heard was that the number was unreachable.

"Ezra let's go" Axel let go of my waist and pulled Ezra towards the door.

"What? Where?" I furrowed my brows, grabbing his hand to make him stop.

"We're going to find him" he pulled my hand off his and turned to walk away.