56 Howl In The Woods

Sage

Roads passed by in a blur and time seemed to do the same.

It was seconds before we all rushed to our cars and began speeding away. The rush, the panic, the hint of fear in everyone watching this scene unraveling was something unexplainable.

"How much further, Ashton?" Axel yelled, blindly driving through Huntley, almost running over half the population on the streets.

"Ummm...turn left from the next intersection, Axel...I can't see anything else right now" Ashton's frantic voice came through the speaker.

"That road is abandoned. Are you sure that's the one?" Phoenix was on call too. He and Ezra were in the car behind us with Donovan and Ashton right behind them. Ethan decided to stay back and take care of things.

"Yes, I'm sure" Ashton replied.

"Axel, Slow down" Ezra warned. "We need to stick together"

"Like sheep to the herd. Perfect. That's what we've been doing, Ezra. Look where that..."

"Stop it. All of you" I ran my hand through my hair, almost pulling at it and shot Axel a glare. I couldn't catch my breath. Not since we left the palace. I should have been used to unsettling feelings by not but this... this felt different. It was scary.

"Relax, baby" Axel put a hand on my knee blindly, not tearing his eyes from the road. We were far out of the city, heading towards the outskirts. According to Phoenix, this was a shortcut to the forest.

"Axel, take a left" Ashton startled and Axel complied but the second the car skidded into the narrow lane it came to an abrupt halt, screeching so loud, I had to put my hands on my ears.

"Fuck" Axel and I were both staring at the broken bark of a burnt out tree lying in the middle of the road, blocking the way.

"Ashton..." Axel was about to say something else when we heard cars screech behind us. I saw a car door open in the rear view mirror and Ezra was the first to get out. I hear the door shut beside me and see Axel already standing with his hands on his hips, rounding the car to the front. I opened the door and stepped out.

"Why does this feel like a setup?" Donovan came up behind me with a disapproving look on his face.

"I highly doubt it is. There's nothing around here for miles" That was Nathaniel with his hands in his hips, looking around at our surroundings. There was nothing but an empty field for a mile or so beyond the huge tree in the middle of the road.

"Either way, I don't intend to stick around and find out" Donovan turned around to walk back to his car, brushing past me.

"Yes ofcourse, because we want to dance around the fucking trees, right?" Ezra was glaring at him.

Donovan whipped around with a glare matching the intensity of my brother's. "Oh forgive me , Ezra. Forgive my fear for my fucking existence" he practically yelled.

Ezra stood there glaring at him with his fists balled up. God, I know how much self control it took him to not punch Donovan that very second.

"We should move" Axel's demanding voice cut through the tension, making me look at him. He was shooting his brother glares too. I understand Donovan's concern, but panicking isn't going to help.

Ezra brushed past him aggressively and strode towards his car. Phoenix followed behind and so did I. Our car was parked right beside theirs.

I heard Axel tell Donovan something but I wasn't paying attention. I was looking down at the ground when I bumped into something hard.