05 Mistake

Axel

"Nooo" . I heard Ezra's voice coming from across the hallway. I wasn't paying attention to him. My ears was only fixed on one heartbeat. The one I was holding in my hand.

From the corner of my eye I could see the man I had just taken down get up but before anyone could make another move I pulled my hand out of her chest. I saw her eyes close and her body fell to the floor. Her heart was still in my hands.

That man was quick to grab her before she collided with the marble. He was about to join her soon anyway. But before I could take a step towards him I was pushed back again.

"Enough" Ezra yelled into my face. I could see the anger in his eyes. He turned around and knelt down on the floor beside them.

I hadn't realised the fight around us had stopped. Most of the men around belonged to her and they were all looking at me like they could rip me apart in seconds.

I didn't process what had happened until that point. We were fighting. She pushed me back. I ripped her heart out. I hadn't even payed attention to who it was until I pulled her heart from her chest.

I looked down at the heart that was still in my hand.

"Sage" Ezra's shout from earlier rung in my ears and the realisation hit me. It hit me hard.

No.

I just ripped out Sage Amherst's heart.

***********

Few hours ago

"This isn't happening" I yelled as I threw my glass at the wall hearing it smash to pieces took my mind off my loud thoughts. But that only worked for a few seconds.

"You need to calm yourself Axel" I turned in the direction in which the voice came from

"Don't fucking tell me to be calm Ezra" I almost yelled at him. He didn't bat an eyelash. He just stood there at the door like he was made of stone.

He just walked through the door and made his way to the chair at the corner. He sat down and eyed me in silence. He had no idea how much his presence was pissing me off right now.

"Have you found out about the bullet?" His voice drew my attention back to him.

" I've sent word to a few witches. My men are working on it" I said in an annoyed tone.

His question made me think back to Sicily. Back when it all started. There was a business meeting between Gervase and Kallihan and some other cities. My brother was there and so was Ezra.

I saw them exchanging pleasantries before entering the room. Fake pleasantries. Everyone knew the Kingdoms didn't really get along. But we all did fight on the same side in the War so I guess that counted as harmony.

The next thing I heard was gunshots and glass shattering. I rushed in there almost immediately. There was no one there besides the people we knew. My brother was shielding himself behind a table. I saw Ezra practically jump out of the window.

I didn't follow him because my eyes were on the two injured vampires on the floor. They started screaming in pain and then they did something none of us expected.

They attacked us.
They behaved as if they didn't have any control over their body.

Needless to say they had their hearts ripped out of their chests in seconds.
My brother was up on his feet by then and was on the phone with his men telling them to search the grounds.

"Ezra" My ears fixed on a voice. A girl.

I rushed to the window to see Ezra grabbing a girl and shoving her into the car. He told her he would follow behind. I later learned that it was his sister there that night.