Chapter 1

Chapter 1

It was summertime, I was 18, and my two friends, Kathy and Ali, and I were all renting out a beach house in Destin, Florida for six weeks. The following fall we would all three be attending the Art Institute of Chicago. 

Our parents let us go there for a graduation present, and my parents even gave me a new car, a slick silver Corvette convertible, but we had to be “responsible”  with it while we were there, so our parents could trust us.

I was a simple blonde hair, blue eyed girl from Chicago, and I never thought I’d fall in love for years. That summer, however, I would be proven wrong. I’m not saying I regret it, but I wished I’d known so I wouldn’t have felt so hopeless.

Kathy and I ha known each other since we were five, and she always had brown hair and brown eyes. She hated her eyes so much she decided to start wear colored contacts to make her eyes look green.

Ali knew Kathy forever, literally, and I met Ali for the first time about four years prior to our vacation. Ali had red hair, freckles and green eyes, but it made her think about herself as unattractive. Kathy and I always told her otherwise, but taking notice that she was dating her first boyfriend right then, she chose to ignore us.

Anyway, the day that everything changed, Kathy had decided she needed to work on her tan, so we headed for the beach. Before we picked a spot, we walked the beach to figure out where the beach was getting the most sun, and that’s when I first laid my eyes on him.

He was surfing a wave like a pro, with his gorgeous short brown hair, tanned skin, and six pack abs. He was wearing blue and white striped swim trunks, making him look like he had walked out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog. I thought I was dreaming, and I looked down. I was wearing my favorite black bikini, sandals and a white see through cover up. Somehow examining my outfit let me keep my sanity. 

What was I thinking? The last thing I needed was a boyfriend. But he seemed different somehow…more sophisticated, more mature. I looked up and he was sitting on his surfboard, staring straight at me, smiling. I smiled, not knowing what else to do. He was so cute! And the way he looked at me….It made me want to giggle like a three-year-old. I thought I may be in love…or was that over dramatized? I don’t know, I had dated before, but never felt that spark or perfect moment like in movies.

“Do you believe in love at first sight?” I said, interrupting Kathy speaking and turned to Kathy and Ali. I flipped my hair innocently and smiled.

“Uh, why?” Ali said.

“Huh,” Kathy said randomly. “He’s hot!”

“Who?” I whispered.

“Him, on the surfboard!” Ali said, pointing to the cute guy I had seen. “Too bad he’s taken.”

“Wait, did you say taken? I didn’t see any girls talking to him!” I stated, trying to hide the panic in my voice.

“Neither did I, but why would a guy like him be single? He’s too hot,” Ali retorted.

I looked back over at him and realized he was swimming out of the water in our direction. What would I say to him?

“Shh, guys, he’s coming over here,” I whispered sheepishly. I could barely contain my excitement.

He waded out of the water and talked to his friend. He said something, gave him the surfboard, and walked towards me. Then I heard Ali whispering to Kathy.

“Okay, so, Beth,” Ali said.

“Yeah?” I turned around.

“Since you saw him first, well…bye!” Kathy almost yelled as they turned and ran off towards the beach house we were staying at. 

Wow, thanks for ditching me, guys, I thought to myself. I’m sure they would get a good view of me from the windows.

“Hey.”

I turned and realized Hot Guy had walked to me.

“Uh, hey. I’m Elizabeth, but you can call me Beth,” I introduced myself.

“I’m Brett,” Hot Guy said, holding out his hand which I shook. His touch was warm against my skin and electricity sparked between us, spreading through my body. I wondered if he felt it too. “I saw you talking to your friends and thought I’d say hi.”

“Yeah.” I was so nervous and didn’t know what to say.

“So do you live here in Destin?” he asked, gesturing to the beach.

“No, actually. I’m staying here with some friends for six weeks.” Not too much information, not too little. And I learned this all from those lousy dating magazines. Who would’ve known? “And you?”

“My family’s lived here all my life,” he said and smiled. That was when I saw his shining white perfect teeth for the first time. They looked like perfect pearls. I blushed. “Why are you blushing? Because of my amazing good looks?” Still smiling, he winked at me.

“I’ve never met anyone like you before,” I offered, suddenly shy.

“You mean, a guy with muscles?” He flexed his biceps and chuckled.

“I don’t know…I’m not impressed,” I replied with a hint of sarcasm, smiling as well, and looked at his six pack abs face to face. They looked even better when they were right in front of me. “I take that back!”

“So, do wanna go out on a date sometime?” Brett said.

“Oh, you mean with you? I couldn’t,” I said innocently. I just couldn’t stop blushing!

“I know, I’m irresistible,” he said sarcastically. His face then turned completely serious as he looked into my eyes, my stomach doing a somersault as I noticed he had beautiful ocean blue eyes. “I know I just met you, but I think I really like you.”

“You think?” I challenged.

“Okay, you seem amazing. Happy?” He smiled again.

“Yes.” My smile grew. “But, sorry, I really can’t go out with you…”

“And why is that..?” Brett asked curiously.

“Well, I have a boyfriend, and he has way better abs than you…I’m not sure you could even take him on.” His smile faded a little, but then I winked and it went right back to where it was.

“And this boyfriend’s name is…” he challenged.

“Crap,” I muttered to myself, my smile fading completely.

“Caught you,” Brett said as he winked at me. All of a sudden I was aware of a million butterflies in my stomach. “Just surrender.”

“Since I’d rather not admit defeat,” I said sarcastically, “I guess I’ll take you up on that date….”

“I knew it,” he chuckled. I heard someone yell his name and he turned. “Oh, shoot, I need to go. Can I have your number?”

“Isn’t that what you need to ask as a pick up line?” I smiled. I grabbed a sharpie from my bag anyway and wrote my number on his arm. Why I had a sharpie when going to the beach? Who knew.

He waved to me as he walked away. It felt like it would lead to something….a something I wasn’t so sure about, but decided to try it anyway. What harm could be done?

**********

Author's Note: First chapter!! What do ya think?? I hope you liked it!:D

<3 you guys!! Thanks for reading!!!!!