Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Elizabeth’s POV

A few hours after Brett arrived, my sobs slowly turned into whimpers.

“Shh, it’s gonna be alright,” Brett said softly into my ear. He brushed my hair from my face, heating my skin with the small sparks that I had once grown used to. They felt alien at the moment, after being starved of his touch for months.

“I m-missed you,” I stuttered, still whimpering. I could only breathe in short, sharp breaths. He didn’t reply for a moment.

“I missed you, too,” he said quietly. I looked up into his ocean blue eyes, eyes that I had missed with every cell of my being.

“I-I love y-you,” I said, trying to get my breathing steady. He gave me a small, sad smile.

“That’s not why I’m here,” he said. His voice sounded strained, as if he was in deep pain. I almost busted into sobs again. I couldn’t handle him telling me that he no longer loved me, face-to-face.

“T-then wh-why are y-you he-ere?” I asked.

“I’m not entirely sure,” he said, looking out the window to Chicago. “I guess I just needed to see the mother of my baby…or should I say babies? I’m not even sure about anything anymore….” As he trailed off, his words mended my heart, then ripped it up again, before it could even begin the process of healing.

“I-I do-on’t underst-stand,” I said, searching his face.

“It’s nothing,” he replied, looking back at my face. The sad smile had made its way onto his face again, and my broken heart ached to make him happy once again. “I came here to comfort you.” I nodded, and pulled my knees up to my chest as best as I could with the baby bump in the way. I rested my head on my right knee, and zoned out.

Why did he have to come? I thought. It would have been so much easier if he had stayed in Florida, and only visited for Olivia. Now he’s only put me in more pain. Can he think about what this is doing to me? When I saw him, standing in my doorway, looking beautiful as ever, I had thought he’d come back for me. That he still loved me. But I was badly mistaken.

“Beth? Beettttthhh?” Kathy said, waving a hand in front of my face.

“Yeah?” I said, snapping out of my thoughts.

“I said, I’m going to show Brett the twins’ room,” she said, and then I noticed Brett had stood up. A sob stuck in my throat, and in just a second I was full on sobbing again. “Oh shit! I didn’t mean to say that!”

Brett rushed to my side again, pulling me close to his chest. I sobbed harder at the thought that he was no longer mine. His scent overwhelmed me, a smell that I had tried to remember, but couldn’t. I tried to memorize it, because soon he’d be gone again.

“Baby, don’t worry, we’ll get through this,” he cooed. I don’t think he realized what he was saying when he said that.

In that moment, the sparks of electricity that had always made themselves present when Brett and I touched, were beginning to die down. I worried that we no longer were meant to be together.

xxxxxxxxxx

Brett’s POV

My heart broke, over and over, as I watched Beth sob and sob. She seemed like she would never be able to stop, and I was worried she wouldn’t be able to get over the miscarriage.

A few times, tears of my own would slip from my eyes, but I would quickly wipe them away before anyone noticed.

I continued to wish fervently that I would think of a way to tell Beth that I still loved her, and always had. I’d already implied that I didn’t, but I hadn’t meant to, so now I have to explain to her somehow.