Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Elizabeth's POV

As I looked at the scene before me, I couldn't stop smiling. It was stunning; the water in the pool was lit up with a blue light, there were so many twinkling lights hung in all the trees. There was a gazebo behind the pool a little ways, and it was also wrapped in little lights. I could hear the Beatles, 'Yesterday', playing in the background; the picture was stunning.

But what made it even better was the boy standing under the gazebo.

I wanted to walk to him so badly, but my body wouldn't move. I felt my limbs unconsciously carry my body towards the gazebo, as I wiped away the tears of joy running down my cheeks. I walked up the few steps and walked to the middle where the boy was.

I continued smiling at him, as he smiled at me, and he tucked a strand of hair behind my hair.

"I love you," he whispered, looking into my eyes. He knelt on one knee as he pulled out a little black box, opening it, and I felt something go off in my stomach. I couldn't look at the ring through the tears that were threatening to spill over. "Elizabeth Miller, will you do me the honor of being my wife?"

I stood there, frozen, looking into Brett's eyes. I felt trapped under his gaze, and I didn't know what to say; I was completely and utterly speechless. His eyes were twinkling with happiness, which only made this harder on me.

"I..." I trailed off.

"Take your time, baby," Brett said.

"I can't," I whispered, trying so hard to choke back sobs. Tears flowed down my cheeks nonetheless, and Brett stood up and took me in his arms.

"It's okay," Brett said sympathetically as he tried to comfort me.

"I mean, you cheated," I whispered through my tears. "How can I forgive you for that? You broke my heart..."

"Beth, I can promise you something," he said. "And that promise is that I will never, ever do that to you again. It was stupid. I was stupid to do it. I love you, baby."

I tried my best to absorb the words and say yes to him, but I couldn't get the words to come out of my mouth. I just couldn't.

"I know," I whispered back, still unable to stop the tears. "But even if I can forgive you, I can't say yes. I just can't..." The sobs started then, and he held me the whole time, not saying anything.

xxxxxxxxxx

Brett's POV

When she said those two words, my whole world came crashing in. But I couldn't let her see that, show her that I was vulnerable. I merely took her in my arms as she cried, which then turned to sobs. I didn't want her to marry me if she didn't want to; I wanted her to be happy, no matter how hard it was on me.

I continued to comfort her until her sobs turned to silence, and she looked up at me with red swollen eyes. I realized that was the second time I'd made her cry that day. Scratch that, not cry, but sob. I'd made her so hurt that she sobbed. But I wasn't sure if she was sad or upset or angry or happy when she sobbed in my arms.

"Do you want to go inside?" I whispered as I noticed her arms were covered in goose bumps and it had to be around nine by then.

She nodded and I led her through the back door and into my living room. She pulled her shoes off and sat on the couch. I sat at her feet as I saw her eyes slowly close and soon she was asleep. I put a blanket over her limp figure, waiting for her to be in a deeper sleep so I could move her without waking her up.

I found her phone in her pocket and pulled it out, finding one of her friend's names. Ali was at the top of her contacts so I called her, and she picked up on the third ring.