Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Later that day, when Brett was out getting us all Subway for dinner, I was talking to Kathy about him.

“So, did you know he was flying here?” I asked her.

“Um, I told him that you were sobbing over the loss, but I assumed he was coming, because he asked for the apartment address,” she said.

“Oh, okay,” I said. “You know, I had the weirdest dream last night.”

“What was it?” she asked.

“Well, I had asked Brett why he didn’t love me anymore,” I started, “and he responded with, ‘I do love you, Beth. I never stopped loving you.’ and it perplexes me, because I didn’t think he could still love me, even in my dreams.”

“Um, Beth?” Kathy said nervously.

“Yeah?” I replied, confused.

“That…that wasn’t a dream,” she said, shaking her head. I gasped.

“You mean, he still loves me?” I asked.

“Yeah, I heard you two talking as he put you to bed,” she responded.

“I…I’m shocked,” I said. “After I broke his heart, he still loves me….”

“Honey,” Kathy said. “That’s called true love.”

At that moment I heard the apartment door open then close. I jumped up from the couch and ran to Brett, smothering him in a hug.

“Can’t, breathe,” he joked. I pulled back with a big, goofy smile on my face. Brett chuckled. “What’s up?”

“You love me?” I asked.

“Yes, I always have,” he said, slowly starting to smile.

“I love you, too,” I said.

He leaned in slowly, making sure I wouldn’t back away, and kissed me with so much passion I thought it was impossible. I missed the feeling of the sparks when we kissed, originating on my lips then slowly spreading through my veins, leaving my body tingling.

“Awww!” Kathy exclaimed from behind me. I pulled away from Brett for a second to turn around, glare at her, then turn back to Brett and kiss him again. “But really, stop making out in the middle of the hallway.”

This time, Brett pulled away, and I felt a blush slowly creeping up on my cheeks.

“Sorry,” I mumbled.

“It’s okay,” she said. “It’s just really gross.” I turned around and saw her make a disgusted face. I shook my head and rolled my eyes at her. My stomach grumbled, and I knew it was time to eat.

“Food time!” I said and grabbed my foot long sub from the ground, where Brett had dropped them when I had hugged him.

“Yay, I’m hungry,” Kathy said and grabbed her own sandwich. Brett did the same, and we all sat at the breakfast bar. I scarfed my sandwich down, while the other two were still eating theirs, and they only had six inch subs.

“Hey, I’m pregnant,” I said when Kathy gave me a funny look. “I’m allowed to eat a butt load of food.” I got up and wobbled to the fridge, pulling out some more fruit, and ate a bunch of that until Kathy and Brett finished eating. I sighed.

“You okay, honey?” Brett asked as he walked over and wrapped his arms are my waist, hugging me from behind.

“I’m tired now,” I said through a yawn. “Good night!” I jumped out of his arms and went to my room, just barely making it to my bed as I fell asleep.