Chapter 22

Please read the author's note at the end!!

**********

Chapter 22

After making out with Brett for several minutes, Kathy and Ali came up onto the roof.

“Hey, Beth!” Kathy said as she and Ali ran over to where we were, only to stop as she saw us kissing. I pulled away from Brett with a small smile on my face.

“Hey, guys,” I said, turning my head to look at them.

“Hey,” Ali said. “Now, let’s see that ring!”

Brett stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, resting them on top of my bulging stomach. The girls came over and admired the ring with me, the first time I actually got a good look at it.

It was the most beautiful ring ever. It had a large square diamond with little diamonds around the band that consisted of white gold. It looked like it must have cost a fortune.

“Thank you, baby,” I said, leaning my head back. Brett gave me a peck on my lips, Spiderman style.

“I love you,” he whispered.

“I love you more,” I teased, and looked back at the girls. We all gushed over it like little kids, and in that moment I couldn’t have been happier.

xxxxxxxxxx

Two days later, Brett had to leave to go back to college. When he left, I felt lost.

The rest of February passed quickly. I talked to Brett on the phone every night. March, things actually got better. The girls and I decided to go to Destin for spring break, for old times’ sake, and Brett would meet us there.

My plan was to wear lots of 85 spf sunscreen, because I’d heard the sun only made stretch marks worse-which I had already been using lotion to minimize those-and I would stay inside most of the time.

When the first Saturday of spring break finally came, we boarded our plane and flew to Florida.

After we had picked up our rental car, I showed Kathy how to get to Brett’s house. I remembered the route like the back of my hand; I hadn’t forgotten a thing about him.

Brett was waiting inside his garage with the door open, so Kathy pulled into the empty spot.

“Hey, baby,” Brett said as he helped me out of the car. I steadied myself against him.

“I’m hungry, I’m going to go eat a snack,” I said as I wobbled into the house. I found two oranges in the kitchen and ate them quickly.

“There are two guest rooms, one upstairs and one downstairs,” I heard Brett say. I then heard their footsteps and Brett appeared, carrying my luggage. The girls went their own ways with their own things. “Babe, I’m bringing your stuff to my room.”

“Okay,” I said, my mouth full with orange. When I finished eating, I washed my hands off. The light caught on the ring on my finger and I sighed in content as I once again admired it.

I went up the stairs slowly and found Brett in his room, beginning to unpack my things.

“I can help with that,” I said as I went to where he was taking a pair of pants from my suitcase and putting it in a drawer.

“Honey, just let me do it,” Brett said as I tried to help. I had picked up a shirt, but it slipped from my hand. I carefully leaned down and picked it back up. Using my stomach, I carefully folded it again and set it in the drawer. “No more.” He pretended to scowl at me but just ended up laughing.