Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The following week was amazing, although occasionally awkward between Brett and I when Cody was around.

Brett and I had had a serious talk about our relationship, and he told me that he knew about Cody and I sleeping together. Apparently he had walked in the room when I was asleep, which is why I didn't know he knew.

We only had one fight, but it was soon over, followed by some great make up sex. I had started to feel a lot more emotional about everything, and I figured it was because I was so in love, and still falling.

Brett was going to come over the night that marked my fifth week there, meaning only a week left with the love of my life.

At around five, after I'd eaten dinner I went to take a shower. The water felt amazing; I really needed it since I had run for an hour before dinner. I left my hair wavy after I dried it but pulled it in a messy bun and put some mascara and pink lip gloss on. I grabbed my black and white Nike running shorts and put them on, along with a light blue, white and black striped v neck that showed some cleavage, but still could be called modest.

I head the door bell ring around seven and ran to answer it.

"Hey," I breathed when I saw Cody standing in the door.

"Hi," he said awkwardly. I could have cut the tension in the air with a knife.

"Um, not trying to be rude," I started, "but why are you here?"

"I'm here to pick up Kathy for our date," he said.

"Oh," I replied stupidly, not thinking of a better, more intelligent response.

"Hey Cody," I heard Kathy say from behind me and I moved so she could get through the door. She looped her arm around his and they walked away.

I shut the door, leaning my back against it and letting out a deep breath I didn't know I had been holding. I saw Ali walk in the room, holding her sketch pad.

"Hey," she said looking up.

"Hey, you doing something tonight?" I asked, walking over to the couch and sitting down, pulling my legs up on the couch.

"Nope, just gonna draw, why?" she replied.

"Brett's coming over," I said.

"Oh great," she teased, rolling her eyes. She sat on the couch next to me and flipped through her drawings. "You two kids use protection." She nudged my knee and winked at me. I rolled my eyes and grabbed the tv remote, flicking it on.

Once the noise of the tv registered in my brain, I received a massive headache. I groaned and turned the tv back off. I leaned my head back and started massaging my temples, hoping the headache would go away.

I heard the door bell ring and when I got up I was suddenly aware that my lower back had the worst pain.

"Hey, Ali, can you get the door?" I asked, trying to pop my back but it only made it hurt more.

"Sure," she said, putting down her sketch pad and looked up at me, getting up. "We have Advil in the kitchen if you need some." Her face was bunched up in worry, and I could tell I looked like I was in horrible pain, which I was.

"Thanks," I said as I walked to the kitchen, trying to cause the least pain in my back.

I hopped on the counter and pulled open the cabinet door, looking through the medicines. When I found the Advil I grabbed a glass from another cabinet and hopped off the counter to get water from the sink. I swallowed two tablets when I heard footsteps into the kitchen.