Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Brett’s POV

I watched as Beth talking into the phone, and I wondered who it could be.

The next thing I knew, Beth was on the floor. I rushed out of my chair, knocking it over, and ran to her.

“Beth! Beth, are you okay? Beth, talk to me! Talk to me!” I yelled, shaking her slightly as her as her body crumpled in my arms, and her body went limp. I felt tears start to fall, because I had no clue what was happening. “Beth! Beth!”

When I was sure she wasn’t going to wake up, I saw the phone dangling on its cord. I grabbed it and pulled it to my ear.

“Beth? Are you okay?” someone was asking.

“This is her husband, what happened?” I demanded. I needed to know right away why my wife was in my arms, and she wouldn’t wake up.

“There was a car accident,” he began, “her dad has a broken leg and her mom was killed.”

“Shit,” I muttered under my breath. I dropped the phone and scooped Beth into my arms. I ran to our little room thing, and laid her on the bed.

I called concierge and they booked two tickets for a flight out, as I threw all of our clothes into our giant suitcase. I grabbed our stuff from the bathroom, throwing that in too, and called the front desk.

“I need someone to pick up our luggage,” I said in a rush.

“Okay, sir, someone will be right there,” the man said. I waited sitting on the bed next to Beth until someone got our stuff, and I picked my wife back up.

I got the tickets from the concierge and just as a bus pulled up, doing its evening route, Beth stirred in my arms.

“Brett?” she asked quietly, her eyebrows pulled together as she looked around.

“Yeah? Baby, I’m here for you,” I said, and she looked at my face. She looked a little pale, but other than that, she was fine. She was silent for a moment.

“My mom died, didn’t she?” she whispered. I nodded gravely.

“I’m so sorry, honey,” I said.

“Can you put me down?” she asked. I set her on her feet and grabbed our luggage, pulling it onto the bus. She followed me on and we took a seat.

“Are you okay?” I asked as the bus lurched forward. She nodded, and looked away. But not before I saw a tear slip out of her eye. I took her chin in my hand and turned her face towards me. “Beth, I know when you’re lying.”

She bit her bottom lip. “I don’t know what I’m going to do,” she admitted quietly. “My mom has been a huge part of my life. I don’t want her to be gone.”

“I know you don’t, baby,” I replied as she started to cry, and I pulled her to my chest, comforting her. I just wanted our new life to start out smoothly, but even that was apparently too much to ask for.

xxxxxxxxxx

The whole plane ride to Miami, our connecting flight, then to Destin, I couldn’t help but think that first, we lost Oliver. Then her mom. I wasn’t sure how she was still alive…when we lost Oliver, she couldn’t stop crying for hours and hours. I was surprised she hadn’t broken out in sobs yet.

“Brett,” Beth moaned, waking up. She was leaning against my chest as we were about to land at our final destination.

“Yeah, baby?” I asked quietly.

“Where are we?” she asked, still half asleep.

“We’re almost there,” I replied. I tucked a strand of her hair that was in her face behind her ear.