i. all good things

☆*゚・゚。

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

IT WAS LIKE THE WORLD HAD COME crashing down.

Noah caught her as she staggered backwards, stopping her from full on colliding with the table. The words leaving Lily's mouth weren't registering in Cass' brain. They couldn't be true. They just couldn't be. Lily's eyes were rimmed red, and her voice shook as she spoke, and Cass knew it was real. Terminally ill. Terminally. Ill. 

"Mr Alderley came this morning," Lily said. "He says they-- they didn't want James to know. They didn't want his last memories of them to be such negative ones, but-- but they needed Mungo's."

Cass couldn't find the words. She couldn't even open her mouth, because if she did, she would break. Noah could feel the way she was shaking in his grip, and he begun to trace patterns with his thumb, swallowing his own worry.

"Where's James?" Cass finally managed to croak out. "Where's Sirius?"

"James went to tell Sirius," Lily said. Cass felt her stomach twist, and she immediately felt guilty. James knew that Sirius would take it best from him, and that the two of them would find some comfort in one another. Cass wanted to see them, she wanted to see her brothers.

"I'm going there now," Cass said pulling out of Noah's grip. "Can you watch the kids?"

"Of course love," Noah nodded. He was more than a little concerned that Cass hadn't shown any real emotion apart from her silence. "Are you- are you okay?"

"I'll be back later," Cass completely ignored his question.

"I'll come with you," Lily said. Cass shrugged, not even bothering to pick up her jacket as she left the house.

Ottery St Catchpole was Cass' new favourite place. She loved living there, the people, the scenery, it was all perfect. Life had been good the past six months, too good, and now, the bad thing had arrived.

The bitter winter air didn't even make her flinch as she turned on the spot and disappears into thin air. She wasn't going to Sirius and Remus' flat, even though she oh so desperately wanted to see Sirius and James.

No, she was going to the one place that always made her feel safe. She needed to find something to comfort her, that she wouldn't have to comfort back, because she couldn't even find the words to reassure anyone that it would be alright, because what if they weren't?

Potter Manor was the same as always, a light dusting of snow covering it's roof and path, the shrubbery practically shivering in the harsh air. Her feet left imprints in the snow, disturbing the blanket of white underfoot, as she walked slowly towards the front door. Painfully slow, because she didn't want to know the truth. Because even though some part of her brain was determined not to believe it, the other part knew that Lily would never make up something like that.