i. the history of the bad

" there is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you

" there is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you. "
maya angelou, why the caged bird sings

tw— brief mention of sexual assault, mention of suicidal thoughts

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

"GOOD AFTERNOON CASSIOPEIA," JENNA greeted, smiling as Cass came into her office. Cass flopped down on to the couch, hardly in the mood to dredge up her past. She had had a horrific nightmare last night — the worst in a while — and just wanted to have a drink and forget about it. Unfortunately for her, she couldn't drink because she was pregnant, and she couldn't forget about it because well, it seemed to be constantly on her mind.

"Oh, happy new year," Cass said. "Did you have a nice New Years Eve?"

"Ah yes, happy new year," Jenna said. "It was lovely, thank you. How was yours?"

"It was... eventful," Cass said.

The new decade definitely started with a bang. Cass and Lily had been subject to the late night love confessions of Noah and James, who had sang them You are the sunshine of my life in a drunken serenade, despite them literally being married, proclaiming their undying love.

Lily and Cass had been extremely amused by this, but had obviously accepted their confessions, giggling all the while. Lily was irritated because it was the second new year in a row where she couldn't drink due to being pregnant, and she said firmly, "this is the last baby for a while."

"I hope you didn't get too drunk," Jenna said.

"Well Jenna, I actually didn't get drunk," Cass sighed. "I'm pregnant, you see."

Cass had yet to mention to Jenna that she was pregnant again, waiting till closer the twelve week mark like you were supposed to.

"Oh, well congratulations!" Jenna said. "That's good news, right?"

"Mmm," Cass said.

"You're not excited?"

"No, I am," Cass said. "I love Nick and Lia with every part of me, I'm just scared."

"Scared?" Jenna said. "For what? Pregnancy?"

"No, no, my pregnancy was fine last time, well until..." Cass trailed off, stiffening slightly. She had yet to talk about anything to do with Avery in depth with Jenna, focusing on her relationship with her parents and with Regulus, Avery was too painful, too terrifying.

"So then what are you scared about?"

"Another kid... the war... everything to be honest," Cass said. "The flats hardly big enough for another two kids, Lily's pregnant too, so we're going to have to do something about that. Which means a new flat, alone maybe, well obviously not alone but you get my drift, and I'm not sure if we'll be able to afford it, there isn't that much of the money that my Uncle Alphard left me and Sirius left, and Sirius needs that to live because he doesn't work. Noah's job pays alright, but it isn't enough to support a family and buy a new house, my pays poor. It'll pick up when I finish my training, which is next month, so I suppose we'll be fine, but I've just never had to worry about money before and it's all a bit of a mare." Cass spoke very fast and hardly paused for breath. Jenna blinked a few times, trying to take in everything Cass said.