ix. the first heart broken

" hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable

" hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable. "
-l. frank baus

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

SIRIUS ACTUALLY SLEPT THAT NIGHT, curled up in Remus' arms. He had missed feeling like this, relaxed, happy, complete. Because, as cliche as it sounded, Remus made Sirius whole. He grounded him, relaxed him, stopped him from doing anything too reckless.

Remus woke first, smiling for only a moment, before realising what he'd done and what he had to do. He had to do it, even though he really didn't want to. A knot of guilt started to form in his stomach as he nudged Sirius gently awake. Sirius' eyes fluttered open.

"Morning Moony." He yawned. "I'll make us some breakfast, shall I?"

"Yeah." Remus said, nodding. "Yeah, that'd be great." Sirius beamed at him, climbing out of bed and slipping out of the bedroom.

"Well, well, well, look who decided to wake up." Cass said, smirking at her older brother. She was leant casually against the kitchen counter, a mug of tea in her hand.

"Don't you have training or something?" Sirius said, reaching past Cass for a frying pan.

"Day off." Cass said, grinning. "To let us consolidate everything we've learned."

"Right." Sirius said. He delved into the fridge, withdrawing some eggs and bacon. "Well if you'll excuse me, I have to make a romantic breakfast for my boyfriend."

"Sirius, you burn toast. You'll set the house on fire if you try that." Cass said, rolling her eyes. "There's pancakes in the cupboard, just shove them in the toaster and don't burn them."

"You're not the boss of me." Sirius mumbled, opening the cupboard anyway.

"Course not." Cass said, patting his shoulder. "Have fun!" She took her mug, picked up her stack of papers from the counter and retreated to her room.

Sirius rolled his eyes, humming quietly as he shoved some of the pancakes in the toaster. He wished that Noah was here to make pancakes, because ready made ones just weren't the same. Remus came through, fully dressed in his jeans and woolen jumper — how Sirius adored his jumpers.

"Sirius, we really need to talk." He said, trying to avoid Sirius' eye.

"Is everything alright?" Sirius asked, eyes full of concern as he surveyed Remus.

"Can we sit down?" Remus said. Sirius nodded slowly, jumping slightly as the toaster popped. Remus sat down at the kitchen table, fiddling nervously with his jumper sleeve.

"What's up?" Sirius said, folding and unfolding his hands anxiously. Remus swallowed thickly.

"We— I— I think we should break up."