viii. nineteen

" the more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is to praise and celebrate

" the more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is to praise and celebrate. "
-oprah winfrey

.☆*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚☆*.

HEALING TRAINING WAS EXHAUSTING Cass, she felt like she never had a spare five minutes — being at training from 8 in the morning until 5 in the evening, then coming home and falling asleep not long after dinner. She felt so tired all of the time, it was getting rather dull actually.

Then, there was the fact that her and Sirius' birthday was fast approaching. Luckily, it was going to fall on a Sunday, so Cass could actually celebrate it, and after last years catastrophic events, she felt like she deserved to.

She had applied to Hogwarts to finish her training there — which she could do after six months at the healing academy. She had (albeit stupidly) chosen the course that would ensure she could become a healer in just a year, rather than two, meaning she was there five days a week, and then given countless assignments on top of that. Healer training was complicated — you had to do six months at the academy and then another six on placement (alternatively, a year and a year, if you chose the slightly less fast pace option). Lily had informed her that this was extremely different to the muggle version of becoming a healer, or a doctor as they were so named, where you had to do years and years of work before you were fully qualified.

It was bloody lucky that Cass hadn't decided to join the order (yet) because she barely had time to think, let alone go and fight death eaters. Noah was enjoying his new job at the ministry, set to work his way up the ranks of the department of magical law enforcement (although he said there were some right dickheads at the top).

Remus had not returned from his mission for the order, and Sirius was becoming more and more worried about him, hardly sleeping and barely eating. Cass was trying her best to comfort him, but it seemed the only person who could bring him any amount of comfort was James. Sirius was spending nearly all of his time with James and Lily, who were searching for a flat in London, ready to move out of Potter Manor.

On November 3rd, the twins birthday, Cass slept late. She woke up, dazed, at 11 o'clock. She stretched out her limbs, grimacing at the lack of warmth in the bed. Noah was clearly already up, something he'd be getting an earful about because it was, quite frankly, rude to leave your wife alone in bed. Cass grumbled under her breath as she got out of bed, pulling a jumper over her head and padding through to the living room. She coughed as she inhaled the smell of cigarettes, it making her feel extremely sick.

"Morning." She mumbled, pushing the door to the kitchen open.

"The coffees fresh." Sirius said, a mug of it sitting curled in his left hand, a cigarette perched between the fingers of his right. "Noah had to nip to his parents."

"Cheers." Cass said, pouring herself a large cup. "Happy birthday Siri." She smiled. "Shit, we're actually nineteen now. Madness."

"Oh yeah." Sirius said. "Happy birthday, I forgot that was today." Cass frowned, going back through to the living room, tucking her feet up under her as she sat down on the sofa. Sirius looked as though he hadn't slept a wink, his skin pale and large bags under his eyes. There was an empty cigarette packet sat next to him, and a full ashtray.