A Night of Emotions

*(Y/n) POV*

Another exhausting day had past, thank god. My shift at IHOP was over. My co-workers were wondering where I had been, after all I had missed a couple days of work. I told them I was busy studying. Studying what? How much hours of  T.V. Someone could watch before they passed out? I forced the thoughts out of my head. By the time the clock hit 5:00, I was running out the door, and to my car. God, I couldn't wait to go home and tell Zack all about my day. May it be the drink the customer spilt on me, or the sugar packets my coworkers pretended to snort to see if anyone would say anything. I sat in my car, and that's when it hit me. Like a storm, all I had been avoiding, forgetting, to think about, came rushing back. Mom. Oh god mom! I had just realized, that with everything that had happened with Zack, I had totally forgot about the death of my mother. God, I'm such a horrible person! Like what daughter FORGETS to grieve for their MOTHER! I didn't realize I was crying until I felt the drop fall onto my hand. Then another. And another. They each came faster after the other. And soon, I was a sobbing, bawling mess. I couldn't stop thinking about her. They way she would make jokes out of the most stupid things. Like the time we went to the movies, and she had to see how much of the free butter she could poor into her popcorn before anyone said anything. She was my best friend. My only friend. And now she was gone forever. I would never get to hear her laugh, or see her smile, ever again. It was like a piece of me left with her.

I stepped out of the car. There was no way I could drive like this. I would pick my car up in the morning. I needed to walk right now, if I didn't, I didn't want to know what I would do. So I walked, and a walk turned into a jog, and a jog into a run. Soon I was sprinting so fast, without any idea where I was headed.

Who am I? I had been laughing all this time, while her body had been sent to the morgue, and left to rot. My legs have out beneath me, and I fell to the pavement. I couldn't breathe, the world was moving so fast around me, it was if someone had put a show on buzz forward, while I was stuck on pause. It was too much, I felt sick. I couldn't process anything, hear anything. And then I saw it, the lights of a car heading straight toward me. I was too tired to get up, to move put of the way to safety. So I stayed there, unmoving, waiting for the solemn silence I prayed soon awaited me.

*Zack POV*

The fresh night air felt good, refreshing. As did the slight kick in my step, fueled be the drive of my hunt. I had been walking for a good thirty minutes now, and I had passed a couple people. They all looked pretty exhausted, probably having come home from a long day at their jobs. He figured once he ventured farther into the city, where the night life was, he would find the fun he was looking for. As he was walking he heard distant sobbing, and then the noice got louder. It had been so long since he had heard that sound. He never really understood emotions, he didn't know why people cried. He turned his head to see what the commotion was about. He saw a girl run into the street and collapse, her sobs muffled by the wind. "Hey lady, it's not smart to lay in the road like that!" He shouted, he may not have been smart but he had common sense. If she heard him of not, she made no move to get up. Tch, it's her funeral. In the distance he could see a car coming, closer, and closer. He looked more closely. In the streetlight he could slightly make out her, (h/l) (h/c) hair... her IHOP uniform... wait a minute. He thought. Is that..? Sure enough as he got closer he recognized her, it was (y/n). However as he got closer and closer so did the car. He sprinted for her, "(Y/n)!" He screamed. He grabbed her in his arms, just as the car passed. She sat there in his arms still sobbing, looking after the direction the car went. She wouldn't stop crying. For reasons he didn't know, he felt the need to comfort her. He had never been comforted before, never comforted anybody, never had anyone to comfort. He started to stroke her hair, and rock her, and whisper to her that everything would be ok, and to just take deep breaths. Hell, would everything be okay? He didn't know, he just thought she needed to hear it. And it worked, her breathing eventually slowed and evened out. Her crying stopped. She looked up at him, and he felt his heart break slightly, he didn't know why. Her eyes were stained red, he didn't know how long she had been crying. He wished she wouldn't cry again anytime soon. Ever again. She started to shiver. He stood up, picking her up with him. He began to walk home, both of them silent. She tucked herself into him. And soon he recognized the peaceful, rhythmic breathing that came with sleep. When he got home, he lowered her down on her bed, and took off her shoes. He didn't want to evade her privacy too much so he tucked her in, wearing the clothing she still was. He didn't want to leave her alone, but he felt he had no choice. So he left the room, closing the door almost all the way, leaving just a crack open, so if something where to happen to her, he would know right away.

He went to the spare bedroom and attempted sleep of his own but to no avail. So he grabbed a pillow and blanket and slept in the hall, next to her door. There he could finally relax. And within a couple minutes both of them had finally found peace in the world of fleeting dreams, if only for a little while.