A Night To Remember

*Y/N POV*

We continued to walk down the endless gravel path, looking over our shoulder every now and again to make sure no one was following. We walked for several more hours, stopping every now and again to take a short break. However the landscape of trees and field around us continued and the sun started to disappear behind the hills. With night approaching we had no other choice but to stop in a field and rest for the night. We didn't have any supplies to make a fire, nor did we have food or water. We made our way into a little clearing and sat down resting our aching feet. We sat across from each other not saying a word, the air was chilly. You pulled your t-shirt closer to your body hoping to fight off the cold, however the thin fabric did nothing to help. Zack looked up at you, eyes dazed from exhaustion. He took into account your visible shivering before taking off his jacket handing it you wordlessly, before you could say so much as a thank you he stood up and walked into the field. You wanted to follow him but your body just couldn't move. You let your mind wander and suddenly wished you didn't. What if Zack left because he hated you? Maybe that is why he left so wordlessly, you thought back through everything you had experienced together and realized every bad thing that happens was your fault. You couldn't blame him for wanting to leave. Your eyes began to sag as the discomfort of the cold drifted away and was replaced by the intense urge to curl up into a ball and fade away. You laid down on the dirt and looked at the sky stretching on for miles, and slowly began to drift off. As you were about to fall asleep you heard the sound of footsteps approaching. You panicked, jolting upwards, looking around desperately for anything to defend yourself. You saw a shadow start to approach and looked to your left and saw a small stone, not big enough to do any real damage but big enough to be a distraction. You held the stone in your hand, armed and ready for when the figure got close enough. Just as you were about to hurl the stone you saw the person before you. It was Zack and in his arms were a bunch of sticks and a bird. A dead bird. You looked at him with horror. "What did you do?" You asked. He gave you a confused look back, "What do you mean 'What did you do?' I got us dinner. You're welcome." He plopped down in front of you and placed the wood between the two of you, he then pulled two stones out of his pockets and started rubbing them together until they created a spark, before too long there was a fire, and with it warmth. He wasted no time roasting the bird on the fire. A part of you was sick at the thought of the bird dying but also grateful for the food. "Seems as if your no stranger to the outdoors." You say, hoping to keep conversation going. He stays silent for a second before responding, "Not by choice." He leaves it at that. You don't pry. Instead you stay silent as he hands you your half of the bird and eat silently. It tasted terrible but it was better than nothing. When you were done you settled back down and looked back up at the sky. Something settled in you knowing Zack was nearby, you turned your head to look at him. Zack, having also finished his meal, was laying down facing away from you, you took this opportunity to look at him A bit longer than you should have. Without his jacket you could see a little more of what hid underneath. He had bandages stretching farther then just his arms and face. "How much longer do you planning on staring?" You hear him say, you turn over, embarrassed. After a second you look back over, and see that despite the fire he was shivering. You felt embarrassed again for having his jacket. You sit up and cross to the other side of the fire, standing over him. He looks up at you, "What?" He asks. You hold out his jacket towards him in an attempt to give it back. He shakes his head, "No, you need it more than I do." And with that he rolled back over closing his eyes. "But your shivering." You say. "No I'm not." He lied. You sigh irritated by his stubbornness. "Fine" you exclaim, "I guess we'll just have to share." "What does that—" He begins to say before he gets cut off by surprise as you slide down close next to him so you could cover you both with the jacket. You were so close that if one of you moved an inch your body's would be touching. "Much better." You respond smiling. Zack stayed silent, you look over next to you and see he's looking the other direction, avoiding your eye contact. You immediately regret your bold move, a blush crossing onto your face. "Sorry, I shouldn't be this close." You say and attempt to move away. "No, it's fine." Zack says stopping you, "We need the body heat anyway, right?" "Right." You respond back, a bit of disappointment creeping in, you didn't know why but you were hoping for a better excuse than "body heat". But truthfully you knew you liked Zack. However you didn't say anything only rolled over facing away from him in an attempt to sleep, however the cold was still getting to you and you began to shiver again. After a couple beats you felt Zack shuffle behind you before arms wrapped around you. You went stiff for a second, not expecting the sudden contact. Zack rested his head onto the back of your neck and signed. Goosebumps lined your arms as you felt his warm breath come in contact with your skin. You let out a little squeak of surprise. Zack immediately jolts away. "Sorry, I don't know why I did that. You just looked cold." You looked over your shoulder at him and swore you saw a blush creep on his cheeks, you could feel the heat start creeping into your own. "Anyway I don't know what came over me, don't worry I won't do it again." "No." You say stopping him. "It's just keeping warm after all, right?" You say. "Right." He responds back, relaxing as the awkward tension seemed to subside. He reluctantly put his hands back pulling you closer than before. You felt safe and warm in his embrace. He replaced his head near your neck, taking in a deep breath and sighing once more. His hot breath once again made contact with the sensitive skin of your neck and you couldn't help but release a small sound. You slapped your hand over you mouth in embarrassment. Zack went still beside you. "I didn't mean to—" you began to say before you felt his hand tipping your head toward his and his mouth on yours.