ferret boy

inspired by all the comments on "birthday surprise" that thought the gift was going to be a ferret ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Time for presents!" Hermione announced, settling beside Draco on the armrest of his chair.

Everyone gathered in the living room of Draco and Hermione's apartment, an assortment of presents on the center rug. It was Draco's birthday today, and while he tried not to show it, he was extremely excited. He had never really had a true birthday party. Sure, his parents had parties for his birthday, but they were always extremely fancy and impersonal, like they just wanted to show their proper, perfect son off to their pureblood friends. Hermione knew this, and decided to put together a small get-together with all of their closest friends. It was simple, but nevertheless the best birthday Draco had ever had.

Everything had been going great so far, and Hermione couldn't help the smile creeping up her face at the sight of her boyfriend genuinely enjoying himself. What she didn't know, however, was that her two best friends had something up their sleeve.

Harry and Ron took a while to get used to the idea of Draco and Hermione dating, and realizing that they were really serious about each other. But, of course, eventually they saw how in love the two were and decided to give their former enemy a chance. Little did they know, they ended up getting along quite well. So well in fact, that Ron had thought it was the perfect time in their friendship to get Draco a gag gift.

"We're going first!" Harry exclaimed, rushing forward with a box in his arms, Ron close behind.

Draco looked surprised at their eagerness, while Hermione eyed them curiously. She knew something was up. Of course she did.

Ignoring her suspicious eyes, Harry and Ron placed the box on Draco's lap, smiling brightly.

"Someone's excited." Draco raised an eyebrow at them, chuckling.

"It's just because we found the perfect present for you." Ron said, smile not wavering at all.

"Open it!" Harry said.

"Alright, calm down."

Draco opened the top slowly, and had almost taken it off completely when two little paws appeared on the edge. Then, a nose, and finally, a furry little face.

"What the fuck is this?!" The top of the box fell out of Draco's hand as he stared down at the creature in horror.

"Your alter ego." Ron snorted before bursting out in laughter. Harry joined in, and soon the entire room had erupted.

"You got him a ferret? Oh my god, you guys are geniuses!" Blaise laughed, clutching his stomach as he sat on the couch.

Draco scowled as he looked down at the white ferret peering up at him.

"I hate you all. What kind of a present is this?"

"We have reached the point in our friendship where we're able to make fun of you normally, and so we thought bringing back a memory from the past would be the perfect start." Harry smirked.

"Well, it wasn't funny. Do you know how embarrassing that was?!"

"You guys are such idiots." Hermione rolled her eyes, but a smile was appearing on her face as well.

Draco looked up at his girlfriend and frowned. "Oh come on, not you too! It's really not that funny."

"Oh, but it is." Ginny interrupted, smirking from her spot beside Blaise.

"Oh, fuck you."

"Take him out of the box at least." Ron said.

"No, absolutely not."

"Come on, he's not even your real present. I have to give him back to the pet store in half an hour."

Draco stared at the redhead incredulously. "You rented a goddamn ferret?"

Ron grinned. "Be happy I didn't buy him."

Draco rolled his eyes, pouting down at the ferret. It was pretty cute, but his pride would never let him admit it. Eventually though, he sighed, giving up and picking the animal up gingerly.

"Why am I friends with you guys?" He looked at the ferret in his hands, who was now sniffing the air and moving around a bit before settling down.

"Because you decided to date our friend." Harry replied, to which Draco huffed.

He tilted his head up to Hermione, who was watching the whole thing unfold with a smile. "You're lucky I love you, because otherwise I don't know how I'd deal with the rest of your beloved Golden Trio."

Hermione simply laughed, kissing him lightly. "Aww, how sweet of you."

"He really is an adorable creature." Luna spoke up, smiling gently.

Draco looked at her for a moment before glancing back down at the ferret.

"...It's not completely ugly."

"Hermione, I think your boyfriend's cheating on you." Ron said amusedly.

Draco glared at him. "Keep it up and I'll bring back the memory of your Yule Ball outfit for your birthday."

Ron gasped. "You wouldn't!"

"Try me."

Harry laughed as Ron was now the one pouting. "Ok, we'll take him back now."

Draco rolled his eyes yet again, but this time he was smiling. "Finally, now I can move onto my real presents."

Hermione grinned as she watched Draco put the ferret back and pick up another gift, this time from Luna. She was glad that they had all gotten to the point where they were all comfortable with each other, especially after being through so much shit. Draco received the rest of the presents with a big smile, thanking everyone. Hermione could tell that how special this all was to him, and she knew that he secretly liked Harry and Ron's gag gift, because it showed him that he actually had real friends now, and that thought just warmed her heart. He had grown so much since his ferret days, and she was unbelievably happy about the fact that she was able to be with him every step of the way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i'm trying to get back into writing dramione, so forgive me if this isn't as good lol. i may or may not have been busy reading skam fanfiction on ao3 bc i am so fucking obsessed with the season 3 love stories, and then watching anything else remotely gay in the skam remakes bc that is just what my gay ass does lmao. also, love the fact that the majority of the things i've watched and read are mlm relationships, and yet somehow they make me want a girlfriend so fucking bad.

also!! there is a fan film that is coming out on May 29, 2021 about the House of Gaunt and Voldemort's first rise to power. the love of my life, Maxence Danet-Fauvel, is playing Voldemort and if you're interested i highly recommend checking the trailer out which i'll link right here:

https://youtu.be/ubRz72gCzKI

now imma just leave and obsess over the fact that Tom Riddle's gonna have a french accent in this film aasndkucdjfhbvnd :)

anyways, thank you so much for all the reads and comments !! if you have any suggestions, my pm's are always open :)

<3, mallika