halloween ball pt. 3

Draco's breath caught at those words. He stayed silent for a bit, contemplating what to say.

Should I tell her? No, I don't want to embarrass myself. She probably doesn't like me back. But, why else would she ask? Could she actually...? For fucks sake, just say something.

"Um...yes, I suppose so."

Bracing himself for rejection, he avoided eye contact, instead deciding to inspect his shoes.

"So you really do like me?"

Her voice sounded hopeful. Almost excited. He looked down at Hermione, and saw probably the happiest expression he had ever seen on her face. Well, he hadn't been expecting that, but her sparkling eyes told him that he would not be rejected. That thought made his heart flutter, and he smiled, his confidence being restored. 

"I have for a while."

————————————————————————

Hermione's heart jumped at the words. She couldn't believe it. He actually liked her back.

"Do you like me?"

Hermione looked up into Draco's shimmering grey eyes and beamed. Laughing slightly, she said, "Yes, very much."

As if her heart wasn't fluttering enough, Draco returned her smile, making her feel like her heart was going to explode. Merlin, was he beautiful.

Draco then, very gently, pushed one of her curls out of her face. "So..." he said quietly, "can I kiss you now?"

Hermione tightened her arms around his neck. Cocking her head slightly and smiling, she nodded.

"I'd love that."

And when their lips finally touched, it was as if a million fireworks had exploded all around them. Hermione slowly moved her hands to his hair, relishing in the amazing feeling of his soft lips. When they pulled away for air, Hermione gazed up and smiled lovingly at Draco's dazed, yet very delighted face.

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that." He breathed, pecking her again quickly.

Hermione grinned so hard she thought was going to burst. She let go of his neck and grabbed his hand.

"Come on, let's go somewhere more quiet."

Draco's eyebrows raised, but he let her drag him out of the ballroom. On the way, she spotted Pansy and Ron.

They were dancing. Very closely.

"Looks like someone else got their happy ending as well." Draco said, noticing where Hermione was looking.

————————————————————————

Draco let Hermione pull him out of the Great Hall, still too happy about what had just happened to ask where they were actually going.

Suddenly, a freezing gust of air blew into his face, taking him from his state of euphoria and into the dark surroundings of the Black Lake. Hermione had let go of his hand and was now sitting on the grassy bank, leaning back on her hands and staring up at the moon.

He settled down beside her. "Ok, I've got to be honest, I thought you meant something else. But I much prefer this."

Hermione laughed, the sound ringing in the silence of the night. "I just wanted to come here because as wonderful as this all is, I'm curious on how it happened, and I don't think the ballroom is the best place to talk. And it was getting kinda hot in there anyway."