promises

TW: blood, self-harm
———————————
Draco's POV
———————————

I stared at my arms. One the pale color of the rest of my skin, the other adorned with the ugliest mark known to man.

The Dark Mark sat there, tattooed into my skin, looking up at me as if it were taunting me.

You'll never be good enough. All you are is a Death Eater, and it's all you ever will be.

I squeezed my hands into fists, nails digging into my palms. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I felt my heart burn. I sat on the cold marble floor of the bathroom, knees up against my chest.

I couldn't take it. The pain, the guilt, the gut-wrenching feeling of never being strong enough to do anything good with my life.

I looked down at my arm again, and my stomach twisted. I had to get that mark out. Even if it killed me, it was the least I could do.

No one would do so much as glance at me anymore with that mark on my arm. I had no one to go to; I was alone. All because of that mark. It had to go.

I wanted a better life. I wanted to get another chance, at being happy. At loving, and being loved.

But it would never happen with this monstrosity's ink bleeding into my veins.

I transfigured my book bag into a knife, and held it carefully between my fingers. My hand slightly shook, but I managed to steady it enough to bring it to my arm.

Slowly, I began to to cut the mark out. Blood trickled out of every slice, and the pain was brutal. But I continued.

This is what I deserve. I need to go through this pain in order to be forgiven. If I never get this mark out, that'll never happen.

I kept cutting my arm, trying to get all of the mark out. There was so much blood, and I began to feel dizzy, but I never stopped. This had to be done.

Eventually, my mind began to become foggier, the blood loss causing me to finally slip into a state of unconsciousness.

But before I completely blacked out, I heard a faint voice in the distance.

"Draco? Draco!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hermione's POV
———————————

I walked quickly through the corridors, fighting to keep my tears inside until I reached the prefect bathroom.

Ron is such an insufferable prat. He thinks he's so mighty, so special that he doesn't need to do anything anymore. Sure he's part of the golden trio, but so am I. McGonagall had asked us to come back to redo their seventh year, and I know for a fact that she's not going to let us graduate without passing our exams. Making fun of me constantly for wanting to do well on them doesn't help anything.

I swung the door open, and was about to go into one of the stalls when I noticed someone slumped against the wall on the other side of the room.

It was Draco Malfoy.

He seemed to be doing something to his arm. I began to walk towards him, trying to see if he was okay. As I got closer, I realized he was holding a knife.

One of his arms was covered in cuts and blood, and he seemed to be adding to them.

What is he doing?!

"Draco? Draco!"

The knife slowly stopped, falling out of his hand. I bent down to look at him.

He had fallen unconscious, most likely due to blood loss, and I could tell that he had some dried tears on his face. His hair was a mess. He was a mess.

And then his arm.

It was almost too bad to look at. I peered at it slightly, heart dropping as I realized what he had been doing.

He was trying to cut his Dark Mark out of his arm.

Horrified, I knew I had to do something. I managed to scoop him up somewhat, and Apparated to the infirmary. Professor McGonagall has given the returning seventh years permission to Apparate inside of Hogwarts, and it had become very helpful to me.

I was surprised at how light he was; it took almost no effort to pick him up.

"Oh my! What has happened here?"

Madam Pomfrey came rushing over, immediately levitating Draco's body out of my arms and placing him in a bed.

"I found him like this in the prefect's bathroom. I think he was trying to cut his Dark Mark out."

The healer sighed, running healing spells on him. "And he's done a pretty thorough job of it. He's lost a lot of blood; and will most likely be unconscious for the next few days. Well, thank you Miss Granger for bringing him in. You should probably go back to your classes now."

I nodded numbly, taking one last look at the boy in the bed. For some reason, my breath caught in my throat. He looked even paler than usual, almost
sickly.

This is not the Draco Malfoy I know.

Something in my heart pulled at that thought. Part of me wanted to forget about this, and focus on graduating, but another, stronger part of me told me I had to help him. He could've died with the amount of blood he had lost. And something about that made my heart shatter.

He may have been cruel to me in the past, but something has changed. He needs someone to help him, and something is telling me that I could be that person.

"Could you let me know when he wakes up?" I asked.

Madame Pomfrey smiled, a bit sadly. "Of course, dear."

Returning her smile, I then turned and left the hospital wing, my mind still stuck on the blonde Slytherin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i wrote this at like 2am last night but i lowkey like it so get ready for a part two soon cuz i didn't feel like adding on to this one.

ok now idk if anyone actually reads these, but imma rant about something anyway. so, i happen to also love star wars, so y'all know i saw the rise of skywalker already. and all i can say is...holy shit. idc what anyone else says i fucking loved the movie, and a certain two people did something that made me so happy but then one of them did something else that made me mad at the directors but it's fine. i'm not saying what that is bc i'm not going to be mean and spoil things, but iykyk ;). ok, back to harry potter.

let's just pretend seventh years all of a sudden have a special privilege to Apparate in Hogwarts bc i couldn't think of anything else that wouldn't involve having Draco seen by other people.

i wrote too much, but don't forget to comment and share and vote!!

<3, mallika