promises pt. 2

*2 days later*
—————————
Draco's POV
—————————
I woke up to darkness.

Head throbbing, I opened my eyes to find that I was in the hospital wing, and that it was the middle of the night.

"Madam Pomfrey?" I cringed at the raspy sound of my voice. When no one answered, I tried calling out a bit louder.

Suddenly, a light turned on behind a door and Madam Pomfrey stumbled out.

"Merlin, Mr. Malfoy, you really do know the best time to decide to wake up."

I managed a small smile, which turned into a groan when my head started to hurt again.

"Here, take this. It'll help your head, and your arm." She held a vial at my lips, slowly tilting it and allowing me to drink it all.

Your arm.

I looked down at my arm, and my heart dropped.

The mark was still there, just with a ton of scars all across it. My eyes began to tear up.

You failed. Again.

Madam Pomfrey seemed to realize what I was looking at. "I know you hate that mark, but unfortunately there's nothing you can do to get rid of it. The Dark Mark is a very strong piece of dark magic, and regenerates itself no matter what you do to it."

I looked up to meet her eyes, and she stared back at me intently.

"I know it's hard, Draco, but you can't let this get the better of you. You can still get another chance at a better life, even with that on your arm. It's just a tattoo now, it doesn't define you. Remember that."

I gulped, and nodded slowly. Maybe she was right, maybe I could still prove to people that I'm not who I was before. But it would take a lot of convincing.

"Wait, how did I get here?" I asked her, remembering suddenly that when I blacked out I had been on the floor of the prefects bathroom, which was nowhere near here.

"Oh, Miss Granger found you, and brought you here when you fell unconscious. Speaking of her, she wanted to know when you'd wake up, so I'll tell her to come in the morning."

And with that, Madam Pomfrey told me to get some rest and disappeared back into her room, while I lay in my bed completely confused.

Granger brought me here? I thought she hated me.

It was probably just the hero complex in her. She doesn't actually care about you.

But then, why did she want to know when I'd wake up? Was she worried about me?

That can't possibly be the case.

I stayed there thinking, until I finally fell asleep again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hermione's POV
*the morning after Draco wakes up*
———————————

I walked down to the Great Hall half asleep, yet again.

As I plopped down at the Gryffindor table, Ginny eyed me worriedly.

"You alright, Hermione? You look exhausted."

I yawned, waving my hand dismissively. "I'm fine, just did some late night studying."

"Again? You shouldn't stay up so late for so many nights in a row. You basically already know everything for the exams anyway, I don't understand why you still need to study."