dreaming

this one is very long, just a warning. specifically, 4,277 words long. so get comfortable and enjoy :)

Her beautifully bronze curls bounced as she ran out in front of him, her laugh radiating out into the open air. Her slender hands caressed the tops of the blossoms surrounding her as she continued through the breathtaking field filled with thousands of the most colorful flowers anyone could've ever seen. Lines of pink, purple, and yellow went on for miles, the bright blue sky following above it. She wore a creamy white summer dress, the wind blowing the long, lacy skirt every which way as she slowed to a carefree walk.

Looking back, she smiled brightly as Draco eventually caught up to her. He mirrored her smile as he gently took her hand and spun her around, causing her to laugh again. She placed her arms around his neck; he around her waist, and they stood there for a moment, gazing deep into each other's eyes with smitten smiles across their lips. It seemed as if the world had stopped for a minute, leaving the two of them in this wondrous paradise, together forever. Words were not able to describe this feeling of love between them, growing stronger by the second.

Slowly, but surely, Draco leaned in, eyes dropping down from hers and focusing onto her soft lips. She did the same, and they got closer and closer until finally...

"Bloody hell!"

Draco grumbled as a loud banging awoke him from his slumber. Opening his eyes slightly, he noticed his owl outside the window, a newspaper in its talons. Still grumbling about how it's too early for owls to be arriving, he dragged himself out of bed and opened the window. Shivering at the sudden burst of air, he collected the newspaper and gave the owl a treat, then quickly shut the window again.

He was beginning to be fully awake, but not enough to not want to be back in bed. Crawling back into his warm covers and propping himself up with his pillow, he suddenly noticed the headline.

Breaking News: Wizarding War Heroes Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley Are Engaged!

He looked at the picture below it. Weasley was on one knee, ring box open with a huge smile on his face. Hermione was looking down at him with her hands over her mouth in surprise, her head nodding yes, over and over again.

Without trying, his heart beat faster as he focused on the brunette. She looked beautiful, and so very happy. Draco began to smile, remembering the dream he was having before the owl had so rudely interrupted him, but that quickly turned into a frown as he reminded himself that that would never happen.

A rustling of sheets beside him brought him out of his daydreaming, but did nothing to brighten his mood. Astoria had turned over to her other side in the bed, so she was now facing him, thankfully still asleep. Draco's heart suddenly sank. He and Astoria had been arranged to marry since before he could remember, and although they were the closest of friends, neither of them was in love with the other. Astoria didn't even like men. They had both agreed that they'd stay married to satisfy their parents, but could still date other people so neither of them would be completely unhappy for the rest of their lives. It was a bit risky, but definitely worth it, at least for Astoria. She had been happily dating Pansy for a while now, but Draco had no such luck. Of course, he had dated a few girls for short periods of time, but the one that had his heart was the only girl that he could never have.

He stared at the newspaper still in his hands, and sighed deeply.

At least she's happy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------——

Hermione stared at herself in the mirror, admiring the elegant white dress she was currently wearing. Her heart was beating a mile a minute. She was going to be married to Ron in exactly one hour. Part of her was happy, as she should be. She was finally going to be married to the love of her life. Or at least that's what she kept telling herself.