Thirty-Eighth

I looked around for a moment and laughed a little. I think I'm hearing things...

Max?

"Mars?"

Oh my god, you can hear me?!

"Uh... yes?"

Thank god!!! I've been screaming at people for days!

"Um... what?" I said, looking around in confusion.

Ever since I woke up from this coma, I've been trying to get people to hear me but no one seems to notice.

"But... you're... still in the coma."

I meant mentally. People in comas aren't always dead, dude.

"Well, I get that but... why am I the only one who can hear you? Am I dreaming?"

I think the initial Dream Room Operation: Get Max Out of His Coma thing did something to our brains. We've always been able to connect when others couldn't. That's how I found you while you were being held hostage, remember?

"That's true... Then again I had a mental breakdown the other day so... I could be dreaming..." I said, laughing nervously.

No! No, you're not dreaming! Please... please...

"Okay then... Um... Dumb question, but how do you feel?"

Like I'm about to go insane. I've been trying to get someone's attention but no one could hear me... and then you haven't visited at all...

"I'm sorry about that it's just... a lot has happened and stuff between you and Kasai..."

What happened to Kasai? He's not dead is he?

"No, he's not but... I mean..." I sighed, putting my head in my hands.

What's wrong, Max? Mars asked quietly but kindly.

"I was finally able to meet Kasai but when we were about to get near each other, A972 took over Kole and he tried to kill me. Kasai jumped in the way though and took the blow. He's been in recovery ever since and unconscious due to blood loss. He got hit in a vital spot..."

Fucking A972. I wish I could have killed him when I had the chance back on the ship. he snarled.

"He was able to hack into the Dream Room and integrate himself with the mainframe. Something about his body being able to tap into the thing due to be gelatinous. It's hard to explain but he basically had the ability to take over anyone's brain that had been in contact with the Dream Room. He was going to come after you and I but they were able to contain him, so I hear. He is locked away in a file or something but still has access to Kole's mind and still takes over from time to time."

Damn, that sucks. Even I feel sorry for Kole. Have you seen him?

"No, I've been dealing with my own issues so... Can your mom hear you?"

No, she can't hear me either. I know Zylith can see brain activity but she can't tell where it's coming from. I can't see anything but I can hear everything. My mind is wide awake but my body is... well...

"Right. That's got to be horrible."

We were silent for a moment as I just sat there and looked at my friend as he looked so peaceful laying there when he was really in agony, trapped in a body that couldn't move.

What's wrong, Max? I looked at his face. You said that you needed me for something. What's up? You know you can always talk to me.

I breathed in and started talking, feeling like I was never going to stop.