-1.4 monkey bars and parties

chapter fourteen!

"HOLY SHIT!" exclaimed Alex, backing up almost instinctively as a motorcycle pulled out in front of the duo as they approached the apartment complex. The two stumbled a bit, seeing as how they had to avoid being hit by the vehicle. Only a moment later, a few more motorcycles pulled out behind it, driving the opposite way. "What the hell was that?"

"I have no idea," answered Miguel. He'd calmed down a lot since he'd first shown up, seeing as how Alex was the voice of reason that made most of his doubts go away. "Nobody around here drives a motorcycle, do they?"

"Not that I know of," she responded. "Unless backflip guy made a few friends."

Miguel laughed, pulling her towards the complex. His smile dropped completely, though, only a moment or two later when he saw his Sensei's car in flames outside of his apartment. "Oh my god—"

"Is that Mr. Lawrence's car?" she asked, squinting at the sudden heat. Miguel nodded, grabbing is phone.

"I'm gonna call 911," he told her. "Then they'll hopefully send a firetruck."

"They kind of have to," she responds, looking at the car. "It's a fire, that's what they're for!"

Carmen can rushing out of her apartment, only seconds later. Miguel was still on the phone with the dispatcher, but she came running over to the pair nonetheless. She pulled the teenagers away from the car and towards the apartments, Miguel ending the phone call not long after.

"They're sending a firetruck."

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

It took Alex forever to fall asleep that night. Too much was running through her brain— who would've set Mr. Lawrence's car on fire? Was Sam cheating on Miguel, or was he just being paranoid? Seeing as how she couldn't fall asleep, she facetimed Casey; unloading the events of the past few hours onto her best friend, who listened intently. The two talked for what felt like the entire night, but ultimately fell asleep on facetime with each other— neither of them hanging up until they woke up the next morning.

"So you're going to miss the practice SAT's?" asked the blonde from the passenger seat of Noah's car. Casey had gotten her own car taken away because of how she stayed an entire week at some random boys' house without calling her parents once, leaving Noah to be her only ride. Alex was looking down at her phone from where she sat on her bed, shrugging at the two. Casey had set her phone up on the dash so Alex could see them both. 

"Yeah, I kind of got to, ya'know?" she nodded. "Mom's got a important appointment today, and it's not like it's the real test, anyways."

"But it still kind of sucks that you have to do all of this. You're 16, remember?" reminded the girl. Noah couldn't help but nod in agreement. Peering over from the road and at the phone, he noticed the look of slight annoyance that flickered across his girlfriend's face.

"No, I completely forgot my age," retorts Alex, sarcastically. "But yeah, I know what you mean. But she's my mom, and I owe it to her to be there. It's my responsibility, whether or not I'm 16."

"Yeah, I know," whined Casey, sticking her tongue out at the phone childishly. "You and your stupid dumb morals."

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━