Bracelets and an even more awkward conversation

time: 2 days before the task

Severus wouldn't look at him. 

harry ordered 5 cases of dreamless sleep, his nightmares frequented with images of Severus' near death. the whole school knew of course, and the whispers just grew louder. thankfully, the newspapers hadn't yet caught wind of it, but harry wouldn't be surprised if they did soon. he had had the interview with Rita skeeter today and almost hexed her into next week, but she hadn't asked about the incident in potions... yet.

 he had seen her talking to Malfoy after though, so he wouldn't be surprised if the next article would be a special on harry and Severus.

 when his cases of dreamless sleep arrived at the table at lunchtime, two days before the first task, Hermione gave him a disapproving look, picked up the newspaper, then proceeded to drop it like a hot coal.

known death eater and the boy who lived romance! our saviour a dark creature?

our boy hero left in tears after the death of his parents. harry potter tells all!

by Rita skeeter

harry touched the paper and it burst into flames.

he jumped back swearing loudly, but there was no burn.

"wha- what the. oh"

harry held up his hand as thin tendrils of fire swirled round it lazily.

he looked Severus dead in the eye "so I guess you're element is earth then?" 

and he turned and walked away.

walked out of the hall.

                                                                                          ***

                                            time skip brought to you by Draco Malfoy's hair dye 

From the moment the article had appeared, Harry had had to endure people -Slytherins, mainly - quoting it at him as he passed and making sneering comments.

"Want a hanky, Potter, in case you start crying in Transfiguration?"

"Since when have you been one of the top students in the school, Potter? Or is this a school you and Longbottom have set up together?"

"Hey - Harry!"

"Yeah, that's right!" Harry found himself shouting as he wheeled around in the corridor, having had just about enough. "I've just been crying my eyes out over my dead mum, and I'm just off to do a bit more..."

"no... here"

Severus handed harry another vial of blood and a small bracelet

"what's this?" harry asked holding up the bracelet. "and I've had blood today" 

"I know" the potions master shifted from foot to foot "the bracelet has my magic in it. apparently its supposed to be calming, you can also, send messages through it if you need more blood, and call me through it, I have the other of the pair. and your magic is erratic until you've learnt to control the fire, so brought you some more blood"

"harry drank down the vial and immediately felt lighter, then slipped on the bracelet."

it tightened to fit his wrist "how do I send messages and call you?"

"touch it with your wand, and say what you wish to say, it will appear on my bracelet, it warms when the other sends a message. as for calling me to you, say 'chimera'"