Save the Date

"Forgive me, my Lord."

The layer of dust was getting thick again. The curtains remained drawn. Once vibrant, warm candles stood as abandoned, brooding monoliths.

Once upon a time, George found himself imagining what a "depression room" would look like. Except now, he didn't have to imagine.

George's bedroom encompassed all of his emotions. Clothes scattered, books thrown about, and messy bedspreads were only the tip of an iceberg. The room was a shell of a former beautiful, elegant masterpiece. The same could be said about George.

The death left him in shambles—no one to love, no one to care for, and no one to talk to. George was ravaged. His maids would often stop by to clean the room, only to be refused. Over and over again.

He hadn't seen daylight in what felt like decades. Not to mention, he hadn't made an effort to talk to other people in ages.

Days passed, but time never seemed to move for George. These days spent alone and shut up in his room would change soon.

The event was coming up, and he was anything but ready.

A soft knock at George's door startled him out of a daydream.

"Yes?" George quizzed.

"Good afternoon, my Lord. Today is the big day! I hope to see you downstairs in a couple of hours." a servant said, from what George could tell was a ways away from the door.

George chose not to respond.

Often, George found himself mindlessly drawing doodles in dust piles. However, today was different. Deciding to make use of his spare leisurely time, he found himself drawn to the books stored inside his bookshelf. His nimble finger traced down the spruce bookshelf. His finger was met with a spine of a familiar text. Messy embroidery and the potent smell of weathered paper gave away the book's identity immediately. The hard-covered book brought back memories.

Too many memories.

Maybe he would indulge in the fable another time. He ran his finger up and down the shelf, trying to forget the fact that he had already read every book. George was at a loss as to what he should do. This would be his last free time for a while. He needed to make the most of it. A sudden thought piqued his interest. He would venture beyond his room for the first time in months. This seemed like a foreign idea to the man; however, he did long to free himself from his boredom.

He ultimately decided in favor of the tricky task. The grand, spruce wood door stood before George like a giant. Such a simple job, yet he couldn't manage to reach for the handle?

Outstretched and nervous, George touched the silver handle. Gradually, he turned the knob. The door was cracked open. Waves of fresh air hit his nostrils, filling him with a sense of delight: a strange feeling, yet a good one.

George creaked the door open. Just enough for him to sneak out. The solid, stone brick floor was bone-chilling against his feet. Yet he found himself enjoying the feeling of leaving his cave. Nostalgic emotions arose. He felt like a mischievous boy again, sneaking around the palace while playing hide and seek.

The hallway which he once played in was now lined with expensive art and outlandish decorations.

The slight aroma of cinnamon and apples tingled in his nose.

"The kitchen must be hard at work for my supper," George thought.

George noticed the floor was shining in the light. It was cleaned to perfection. Most likely per his father's request, the house was spotless. A sign that the family would be having guests over.

George's footsteps were responded with only echoes into the halls.

Despite George's hopes for the adventure, strolling through the corridors, pondering artwork, and glancing out of large windows never quite seemed to fill the boredom George felt. Not that he had much time left before the event anyways. He would shortly be anything but bored.

Soft violin and piano rattled down from the Great Hall and into the corridors where George wandered. The music graced his ear like angelic whispers.

"At least they got the music right," George thought to himself.

Barely audible beneath the soft swish of George's silk pajamas, his footsteps, and the music, George heard a whisper from behind. He turned to his body to see a maid waiting for his response.

"Yes?" George inquired.

"Good evening, my Lord! It is almost time for the crowning. Please allow me to escort you to your room."

"That won't be necessary. Tell father I will be down to greet the guests in 10 minutes."

"Yes, my Lord."

The maid scurried away, obviously astonished to see the prince beyond the safekeeping of his room.

George reluctantly marched back to his room. One step inside, and George was greeted with a peculiar item. Waiting for him was a regal-looking suit. A deep, wine purple fabric was intertwined with shiny, gold threads. The outfit reeked of his father's fashion sense, flashy. Reluctantly attiring in the suit, he proceeded to hear a knock on his bedroom door.

"You may enter."

"Good evening, my Lord! D-do you mind if we comb your hair and such?"

George nodded. He hadn't begun to notice quite yet, but his hair was ever so matted into unmanageable knots. He was simply unkempt, to say the least.

He could tell the maids were nervous to see George so gaunt and sickly looking. However, he couldn't blame them. The tragedy had left George in a state of true despair. Anything he used to be, was now gone.

However, the maids did not disappoint. They always managed to make George look his best, even at his worst. He looked presentable, for the first time in months. Pleased with their efforts, he dismissed them from his company.

Parting with the maids, George made his way towards the stairs that lead to the Grand Hall.

"I would kill to be in my room right now."

Alas, not all wishes come true. The once heavenly aroma George scented was shrouded by the heavy stench of expensive wine.

Clinks of glasses, chattering, and shuffling of ball gowns were all audible to George.

The guests were here.

The party has begun.

AN: hi long chapter yes yes but most of my chapters will be pretty long :) lemme know what chu think <3