El Fin

Tears splattered onto the ink. It smeared slightly.

George took the paper and dashed down the stairs.

He didn't care if the whole castle saw the tears rushing down his face.

He sprinted to Dream's grave.

The grey overcast rumbled as snow began to fall from the sky.

It was almost as if the Heavens wept with George.

However, George's tears didn't freeze like Heaven's tears did.

His face was flushed, and his breathing was heavy.

His throat ached as he read the grave aloud for what might have been the last time.

"Here lies Dream,

a friend, a son, and most importantly, a soulmate."

George's hand muffled a sob that only worsened his throat's condition.

His hands were red and dry from the bitter cold.

He didn't care.

He fumbled with the parchment in his hands as he opened the letter.

"I wrote this for you, Dream. Please say you're listening. Please say you're with me right now."

Silence answered George.

He let another few tears fall onto the ink, which was still fresh.

He wanted Dream to hear.

He wanted his message to get to Dream.

If only he had a little more time.

Even just one minute.

Please listen, Dream.

"December 1, 1450:

Dear Dream,

My dearest, is what you are. You are my servant, my best friend, my lover, and my soul mate.

The first day we met, I never knew what to expect from you. I could never fully understand what you were thinking behind those mysterious ice-blue eyes you had. I was scared for my safety when I first saw you. I felt as if being the king meant I would live no adventures.

When I met you, I had no reason to live. You managed to wrap me around your finger. My heart feels as if you were gently holding it.

My mother read me many mystery stories as a child. They were never my favorite. I hate having to think about the puzzles for too long.

You are the puzzle that made me love mysteries. Solving the puzzle of your thoughts never failed to keep me happy. Your furrowed brows and your concentrated gaze always made me break into a smile.

Hey, Dream? Did you know I learned all the terrain you taught me about?

I laugh writing this, thinking of the times we rode Heaven throughout these fields. The way your voice cracks going through a sharp turn. The way you slow Heaven down while riding through the forest so that you can take the scenery in. The way your voice gets higher, and your back muscles tense up when riding through the beaches, even though you know Heaven won't sink into the water.

I like to reflect on our first ride together when you took me under the stars.

Laying down amongst the stars, I found myself. I found reasons to keep living. You showed me them. Thank you, Dream. I never seemed to thank you for what you've done for me.