Make a Wish

The stars composed in the atmosphere winked at George and Dream.

Softly, George turned his head to peer at the taller man neighboring him. Slightly damp soil and blades of grass gently kissed his face. Visibility was low, but George could make out Dream beaming as if he were the sun in the night sky. His royal eyes reflected the portrait above. His dainty eyelashes batted every time he would inspect another star.

The prince looked up to the heavens, examining every small detail. A shooting star graced along the sky.

"Make a wish, George." Dream whispered.

At that moment, George could write a fairytale.

Once upon a time, a lonesome king wished upon a shooting star. He hoped that his happiest moment could last a lifetime.

The moment he hoped upon was happening now.

"Dream? What do you have in store for me next?" George spoke, smiling like the meteors in the night.

Dream rolled to his side. His warm breath blanketed over George's cold nose.

"Well, I would say a good night's sleep is up next."

The corners of George's mouth folded to reveal a frown paired with puppy dog eyes.

Dream's heart ached at the sight of George ever being upset with him.

"Let's get to Heaven. I have something I want to show you." Dream enthused

Approaching the being, Heaven heavily snored under the stars. Her fur was illuminating like frost in the moonlight.

Dream glided over to the creature, gently stroking her ears, careful not to startle the animal.

Heaven's eyelashes fluttered open. Her breathing evened out. Gradually, she stood as a regal tower, ready for the ride back.

George mounted himself on Heaven (with Dream's help), then Dream followed in pursuit.

Unfortunately, the ride back was shorter than George would have hoped. Even if it was for just a second, he wanted to stay. The dread of his father awaiting his arrival was weighing George like a leech sucking the energy out of him.

When they arrived back at the ancient stable, Dream motioned for George to follow him.

Walking over to the run-down fence Heaven abided in, Dream stopped.

"What are you doing, Dream?

Dream didn't respond.

Instead, he reached into the pocket of his worn, beige pants, digging for an item. His hand grasped a foreign object. The absence of light prevented George from observing any further.

Dream pulled his hand out to reveal a blunt pocket knife.

George felt a storm brewing in his stomach. Was he safe with Dream?

"I wanted to carve something in this fence. A souvenir, if you will." Dream declared.

George sighed a discreet sigh of relief.

"What do you think we should carve?" George interrogated.

"Something special, to us, to this day, to forever."

Dream squatted. He became eye-level with the meek fence.

"Are you sure that will be alright on the fence? It looks a bit rotted." George giggled.

"I'll make it work." Dream smirked in reply.

Dream lightly carved a sentence in the wooden pickets.

Moving closer to read, George formed the sentence, thinking out loud.

"Dream and George, may our souls intertwine, and we can be together for eternity."

George's smile lit up the dark, everlasting night.

His eyes became portals to his deepest emotions. They widened beyond belief. George was ecstatic.

At that moment, George realized. Dream was George's first friend.

George felt a strange sensation in his head, a tingling almost. His stomach felt as if it were riding Heaven through the ethereal terrain again. He felt his heart ascend to the heavens. The chains around his emotions that kept him a prisoner for so long snapped in half. As if the weight that was crushing his heart was lifted, George felt lighter. He felt as if he could conquer the world.

For the first time in a while, George's world started spinning again, and it was all thanks to Dream.

"It's perfect." George finally articulated through a beaming grin.

Dream gave a hearty chuckle as a reply to the man's astonishment.

"Listen, George, I know it's late. Where are you going to sleep for tonight? You never told me why you were out here. To be honest, I have no idea where you even came from." Dream conveyed to the king.

The burden George faced of returning home suddenly crushed all his feelings that arose prior. Not to mention, George hadn't told Dream anything yet.

"Well-"

George hesitated, trying to best form the sentence to Dream to explain his difficult situation.

"Basically-uh- I'm k-kind of a king... "

Dream simply stared at George. A few dry blinks couldn't help the horse keeper process his thoughts.

"You're a king? George, you're kidding, right?" Dream quizzed stalely.

"No. I'm serious, Dream."

Dream looked into the distance and chuckled dryly in pure disbelief.

"I mean, it would have been nice to know sooner, you know."

"Trust me, I know." George grinned sheepishly.

"So I guess this is the end then?" Dream asked quietly.

George's face morphed into a white sheet color.

"What? What do you mean 'the end?' The end of what?" George demanded frantically.

"I can't possibly be friends with a king! I'm only a lowly servant, and you're-"

Dream paused briefly.

"You're life is worth more than mine at the end of the day. The kingdom will never see me as good enough; we both can understand that." Dream declared bitterly.

George's beautiful amber eyes became clouded with tears. His eyelashes clung to each other as a waterfall fell down the dainty man's face.

It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. It wasn't r-

George's frenzied thoughts were interrupted by a voice.

"George, I have an idea."

George glanced up; his eyes met with the aquamarine oculars peering at him with intent care and sadness.

George noted Dream was just as upset.

"W-what is it?" George sniffled.

"We may not be able to befriend each other, but I can still work for you. Hire me, George."

George wiped away the tears still lingering in his eyes.

"I'll do it. I'll hire you."

Dream grinned from ear-to-ear.

Color returned to both of the men's faces.

From this moment forward, George's favorite servant had just begun his first day on the job.

AN: ok this chapter is pretty short srry and also the story is gonna go pretty slow so thats why all the chapters r kinda slow paced like this. Love yall ❤️