act 2: iii. light of tragedy

Izabel looks at Zay as he bursts into the room, her eyes wide. She stands immediately. "Zay, I think she's going into labor or something. I-I don't know what's happening."

Zay looks over at Hope to see her silently crying in the bed, holding her stomach. Tears well up in his eyes. "Aw, no."

Hope squeezes her husband the moment he approaches her to wrap his arms around him. "Zay, it hurts. Everything hurts..." she cries in his shoulder. "These... don't feel like contractions. My-My water hasn't even broken..."

Zay cries in her shoulder as he couldn't think of anything else to do. She didn't know what was happening, but he did.

The others come to the room. Everyone's heartbreaks at the sight.

Zyra frowns and comes to embrace her parents as well, crying with them. She didn't understand what was happening, but she didn't like it. She's never seen her parents cry.

Suddenly, Lian gets an idea and looks over at her sad cousin, Amelia. "C-C'mon, Amelia. We can try something! I did it on you when you were a baby!"

Amelia lets Lian pull her towards Zay, Zyra, Hope's crying figures. "Zay, let us try something."

Zay looks over at the two, tears streaming down his face. He nods as he moves back from Hope with Zyra still crying in his shirt, where Ally and Izabel immediately hug his head tightly.

They go on both sides of Hope and place their hands on her stomach. "Okay, Amelia, just focus on what I do. We're just gonna infuse the energy into the womb."

Her cousin nods and the two of them close their eyes together as they begin. Lian turns completely white within a few seconds, with her hair white, eyes, and hands. Amelia follows suit with her orange glow.

Hope groans and before she knows it, her hair and eyes glow orange and white as well.

A minute passes and Hope groans loudly enough to stop Lian and Amelia from infusing energy into her womb. Before the two energy infusers can come back to consciousness, Hope grunts once more, but this time in complete agony. Before they know it, they can all see the contents of her water breaking on the bed.

Everyone's eyes widen. Marie rushes towards Hope, trying to help her breath correctly. "Hope, you okay? Baby, you okay?"

She continues to grunt as she shakes her head. "The baby... ARGH!"

"We had to... induce her into labor to save... the baby..." Lian murmurs before she passes out on the bed, Amelia following suit on the other side.

Zay's eyes widen. "Oh shit, the baby is coming. But-But Austin's mom isn't here... I don't know how to... oh my god."

"It's okay, I know how to deliver a baby," Marie sighs, mostly in panic and in relief. "Okay, give us some room. I need towels, warm water, and some blankets. Go!"

Hope groans as the tears fall from her eyes. "Is it too late to get some pain medicine?"

Marie chuckles as she moves up her daughters dress to get a better view of everything. "Sorry, sweetie. The baby is..." she gapes as she looks down and sees the head of the infant emerging. "Holy shit, the baby is coming now!"

"I have towels and blankets!" Izabel hurries back, giving them to Marie.

Austin returns from the bathroom in Hope's room with a container of water. "Is this enough?"

"That's perfect. Thanks."

Marie turns back to Hope with a determined face as she positions herself to deliver her grandchild. "You're gonna have to push about once or twice; she's already slipping out. Just push, Hope. One big one."

Hope is thankful for her daughter massaging her head, but she can't help the scream and cry in the little girl's lap as she pushes as hard as she can.

"One more!"

//

As everyone calms down and gives Hope, Zay, and Zyra time to breathe with their new addiction, Austin finds Ally brushing her hair in the vanity of the bedroom they were sleeping in for the night.

Austin hugs her waist and kisses the back of her neck. "There is never a boring day with our family."

Ally chuckles and nods. She finishes brushing her hair before placing the tool down and sinking into his hold. They stare at each other in the mirror for a moment.

"I want another baby."

Austin irks eyebrow at her. He chuckles and turns his wife around, looking at her like she's insane. "Ally, did you not just witness what I did? You know, Hope almost miscarriaging?"

Ally shrugs, wrapping her arms around his neck. "I want another baby," she repeats, staring up into his hazel eyes. "Childbirth is so beautiful to me. It's the most beautiful thing I've seen. Aside from our daughters, of course. I want another one."

"Ally," he stresses again, his facial expression not changing. "We barely get enough sleep as it is. The girls are always fighting and climbing on walls. Let's not forget Aria disappearing every ten minutes."

Still, Ally reaches on her tip toes and to reach his face and give him a sweet smile. "I want another baby, my love."

He can't help but melt at her sweet smile. She was too cute to say no to, even if it was bringing in another entirely new baby to their family. "Ally... just... let me think about it."

She nods, grinning at him before closing the gap between their lips. Austin responds for only a moment before they're interrupted by knocking at their door.

"Mom, dad, can we sleep in your room?" They hear from the other side of the door.

Ally's fingertips light up as she unlocks the door from her spot for the girls to come in. Aurora and Aria stands there in their pajamas with frowns on their faces. "We're scared."

Austin knows they're shaken up from what happened today and opens his arms for the two girls to join his embrace. The don't waste a moment doing so. "It's fine, girls. You can sleep with us."

"Where's Amelia?" Ally asks as she picks up Aria to bring her to their bed.

"She's still knocked out with Lian. Marie took them to Lian's room to sleep."

The parents nod before letting the girls setting in their spots before climbing in after them. "I love you all," Ally murmurs as she almost immediately drifts to sleep as Aria snuggles into her.

Austin leans over to turns out the lamp. He kisses each of their heads before settling himself with Aurora lying on his arm. "Love you too."

"Love you too, mom."

Aria is already asleep to respond. Aurora and Austin chuckle before drift to sleep themselves.

Maybe another baby wouldn't hurt.