xviii. wedding

Ally's frowns when she awakens and her spouse isn't by her side. He's always there.

He would kiss her good morning all around her face before starting his day before her.

The warlock sits up and is overwhelmed at the sight of Marie, Austin's mother, Izabel, Hope, and Lian. Her brown hair immediately transforms into its red state.

"Good morning," Marie grins from her spot on the side of her bed. "Sorry, we wanted to let you sleep in. Busy day today."

Ally sits up and looks around for her lover, only to be met with faces that represented feminine characters. "Where's Austin?"

"It's bad luck to see your groom on your wedding day, honey," Austin's mother says as she comes to sit on the other side of her. The middle-aged woman pulls Ally into her and massages her hair. "You'll see him in just a few hours."

"The wedding is in eight hours," Izabel reminds everyone. "Let's get brunch, get our make up and hair done, and get dressed. We should have enough time to rehearse before seven."

"Seems like a plan," Hope agrees, smiling at everyone.

———

"Where exactly are we going?" Zay asks Austin as they exit the castle's front doors.

While the girls spent their day getting ready together, Austin figured he could bring Zay and Rick along to help him get spazzed for his big day.

"The ladies told me it's bad luck for the groom and bride to see each other, so I guess I was kicked out." Austin chuckles as they jog down the stairs.

"I cannot believe it took you and Mom five years to get married," Zay snickers.  The teenager looks at Austin and smiles. "You know, I always found it crazy with how small the village is, I've never seen you before 'Bel and I met Ally."

But Austin is still caught on the first sentence Zay spoke. "Wait, 'you and mom'? You consider Ally and I your parents?"

"Oh— I didn't even realize—" Zay spurs out, flustered from his choice of words. "Sorry, I-I didn't mean it like that. I just... I don't know."

Rick chuckles and gives Austin a look,  to which Austin playfully rolls his eyes and gives the same look back.

Zay wasn't the type to get embarrassed. He was overly confident with no self doubt. Austin always said he ran so fast he didn't have the time to ever look back on anything he's said or did.

Seeing him in a vulnerable position like this was different.

"Dude, Ally and I have been watching over you and Izabel since you guys were kids. I get it," Austin reassures the boy, smiling softly at his red face. "Hey, I don't mind being called your dad or whatever. It's just weird since I'm only, like eight years older than you."

Zay laughs at this, finally picking his head up a bit. "Dad does seem weird to call you. I only call Ally 'mom' because she reminds me of my mom. You both feel like my parents, though."

They all smile at the wholesome segments. The conversation turns back to its bubbly excitement for the wedding and what the future holds for all of them.

———

"You're drinking more than the bride," Mimi says, glaring slightly at Marie as she was on her four glass of wine. "I'd advise you to slow down."

Marie gives her a look, then rolls her eyes with a bit of a scoff. "Please. It's nearly impossible for warlocks to get drunk, especially Miracle Warlocks. The most this is giving me is a buzz."