xxvii. sacrifice

Everyone shares an entire two days of moping, mourning, crying, and debating.

Marie and Ally were both willing to sacrifice themselves. The only problem: one sister wouldn't let the other sister do that. Marie felt like Ally hasn't lived her life enough and Amelia needed her mother as she got older. On the flipside, Ally felt like Marie's daughters needed her more and Amelia would barely remember her in the first place. Sure, Izabel and Zay would be heartbroken, but they'd understand in the end.

Ally would be sad to leave Austin, but her purpose was to protect the people first. Austin was included in that. She loved her husband dearly, but she also trusts that he would understand and raise Amelia correctly if she is the one that has to die.

They hadn't found a loophole out of this. To be quite honest, there's likely no loophole that they're going to be able to squeeze through. They couldn't risk Lian or Amelia's lives.

She's currently staring in the mirror with a deep frown as she wipes the tears daring to fall from her face. She has to be strong. For the sake of her family.

The tears must blur her vision because she doesn't notice her husband even enter the room until he's hugging her waist and placing a comforting kiss on the back of her neck. Ally leans into him and reaches her hand up to grip his hand tightly with her own.

"You wanna take a bath?" He asks softly, staring up at her in their reflection. His eyes were soft and tears threatened to fall from his own eyes.

This could be their last bath together.

"Remember the first time I helped you take a bath? When you first awoken?"

The two lovers sat on opposite sides of the tub. They'd usually be pressed against each other, laughing about their day together. This bath was different, though. It wasn't relaxing at all. Quite the opposite, actually.

Austin had used the last of her favorite bubble bath. Ally loved bubbles with all her heart. She always has. She was like a child at heart when it came to such simple things. He loves it about her.

Ally looks up from blowing the white bubbles off her hand to look at him. She stares at his sad smile and it makes a tear form in her eye. Ally nods, her eyes not leaving his figure. "I've always known you were my soulmate."

"Yeah?" He's heard this story before, a million times actually, but he wanted to hear it again.

She confirms it with a sorrowful nod. "Yeah. I always heard you talking in my sleep. I couldn't identify who exactly you were when I first woke up, but I knew it was you," she tells him in a faint voice. "I've been in love with you since I've seen you."

"Same," he ageees, chuckles, staring at her vulnerable self. Tears were pricking at his eyes. "I remember... when I was just a boy, I'd be obsessed with you while you were in the glass. I remember I saw your face nose twitch just a little and immediately fell in love."

Ally sends him a smile, not caring if the tears fell anymore. "I don't know what's going to happen in the morning, but I love you. I'm happy to have married and have Amelia with you. I just want you to to know that I was designated for you. I will forever love you, Austin. Thank you."

Austin inhales deeply, closing his eyes. His wife and mother of his child should not be faced with this consequence. Amelia needed her more than she needed him. This isn't fair. "You'll be fine."

Austin can hear the water shuffle around. A second later, he feels Ally's wet body pressed against his. Her lips meet his in a soft yet passionate kiss that he responds to with much love.