xxvi. stakes

"I'm so sorry, mom," Hope cries into her own hands as she's sitting on Austin and Ally's bed. "This is all my fault."

They were currently in Ally and Austin's room. They didn't want to discuss their missing children in the open where people with malicious intent could hear. There could be corrupt people anywhere and they couldn't risk letting anybody hear them. Especially now.

Austin was in shambles. His daughter was gone. It was all his fault; he knew they should've waited to investigate until the morning. Amelia couldn't fend for herself at all. She was all alone wherever she was.

And Lian, man, he was just as worried for her as Marie was. Lian was the strongest Miracle Warlock of all of the girls; she shouldn't've been able to even get kidnapped. Yet, she had. It must be serious trouble.

Marie squeezes her eyes shut to not let the threatening tears fall. She was so scared for her baby. "It's... not your fault, Hope. You didn't know."

Austin looks over at Ally to see her leaning against the window seal, staring longingly at the village. She was probably as distressed as he was. Amelia brought out the sparkle in Ally's eyes. They were very much full now. She hadn't even spoken since they got the news.

"I just don't see how anyone took Lian, though," Zay sighs, sitting on the seat of the vanity. "She's literally the most powerful thing on this planet! It doesn't make sense."

Nick sighs and looks at all of the devastated faces. He knew that if he confessed his knowledge, they'd view him differently, but a child and a baby were at stake. He's have to risk it. He has to earn their trust the right way.

"I might have an idea..."

Izabel looks over at him and irks an eyebrow. Remembering he knew the people who attacked Ally and Austin, she questions, "You think it was the people from last night?"

Nick looks at her, then at everyone else. They had much hope in their eyes from just one sentence. Sighing, he nods while he admits, "I... used to be in their group. They kind of, like, steal vulnerable things in exchange for something they want. They're not shy of kidnapping. Which is why I left. At first, we were just taking valuable jewelry and clothes for money, but they found out that people were a better bargain."

"Do you think they have Lian?" Marie asks, eyeing him. She wasn't even familiar with this kid. "Do any of them have abilities?"

"Annel doesn't. The rest of them do," Nick starts, settling his eyes on the window. "TJ is a speedster like Zay, but seriously fast. Christopher is... I don't know how to explain it. He does something to your mind and make you dizzy and loopy—"

"He did that to Ally last night," Austin points out. He looks to his wife's twin sister. "He probably did that to Lian in order to kidnap her."

Marie nods and gives her attention back to Nick. "Continue."

"Then there's Mary. She's sort of the leader of the group. I don't know what to call her ability either, but she collects information from people with her mind. I'm pretty sure, if they took the baby or Lian, that's how they knew how to get them and who they were to you."

"That's probably how that boy knew I was related to Ally and decided to grab me out of nowhere," Hope points out, her eyes slightly widening from realizion.

"How do we find these people?" Austin asks, looking at the teenager. "Where do they usually hide out?"

"I know where they hideout, but it's useless going after them. We have to wait until they come to us with a deal."

"We can take them together!" Zay exclaims, glaring at his friend.

"I know we could, but you guys have to understand: they're ruthless," Nick emphasis, shaking his head at all of them. "We used to do Kim's dirty work before she died. I've firsthand seen them kill people for not giving them what they want. Children included. I left after I watched them kill a woman in front of her kids for not giving us money."