.one.

•••

•••

7092 words

It all began so simple, yet so hard. I was born into this superhuman society. But I was born with wings, which I inherited from my mother. It was a rather rare occurrence, since not a lot of children inherited special body parts from their parents. My mom was someone who used a Fire Quirk, my father was someone who controlled a Shadow Quirk.

Like most children in today's world, I received my Quirk at the age of four. At first I was confused, as from my left, I was only able to control the Shadow Quirk. From my right, you guessed it, Fire Quirk. As soon as my biological parents found out about my Quirk being half-half, they immediately started having immense expectations for me. The fact that I even had a Quirk, was only the toss of the dice. But the fact that I had inherited both, which was already rare enough as it was, was the true pain. Their weight on my shoulder was too much. When something didn't go as planned, I was punished for it. Whether it was physical or verbal, didn't matter. They often used their Quirks on me. They had always wanted me to become one of the best, as they used to be in the Top 10 Pro Heroes back in the day. They wanted me to carry on with their results, and to bring the family name back into the charts.  Their whole legacy. I never wished for any of that. I always wanted to become just a regular hero, unpopular or popular, didn't matter. But someone who saved people for the better good. Recognition never played a part for me.

Always bragging about how the children of other families were so much more worth it than I ever was. How their spirits and Quirks were better. Everything about them was... better. Better, than me.

I never despised the children, I despised my parents. As a small child, I never was capable of understanding what I was doing wrong. Well to this day, some things have become clear, yet some questions still require an awnser. But it's too late for that now.

Escaping from home at the age of eleven, I ran through several cities, struggling to stay alive. It is true - My wings were an advantage, but I was harassed multiple times.
However beautiful this world can seem on the outside, it can be the ugliest thing on the inside. And that's the side I witnessed. I had run away from that hellish place, successfully putting a solid distance between them, and myself. I never liked calling it home, since it never felt like one. It was something that I despised coming home to. Somewhere I couldn't sleep peacefully, having the feeling of unsafety. I know - Tragic, right?

Once I realized I was finally at peace with the distance, I had stopped running, and eventually started taking little jobs for kids to do. I made some money that way, so I was at least able to put some food on the table. Warmth was never a problem, since my Quirk had helped me out with it.