Part 24

Flashback

"Doctor, Doctor" Taehyung screams his lungs out as his mother's condition gets worse. His mom was talking calmly a while ago but suddenly her body trembles and that's when Taehyung panics.

"Nurse get him out" as the doctor rushes inside the room, he orders the nurse who was following him. “Why? What's wrong doctor” when Taehyung asks the doctor, the beeping of the machine suddenly echoes the room and his gaze falls on his mother and then to the monitor. The lines were slowly fading away and his eyes starts to fill up with tears while nurses pushes him outside.

"Eomma please hold on" he bangs the glass door and the nurses closes the curtain. As the panic spreads to his chest, Taehyung quickly pulls out his cell phone and dials his father's number. But what he didn't know was that his father's cell phone was inside the hospital bedside cabinet which his mom had kept.

2 hours earlier, Taehyung's father's POV

"Honey" my wife squeezes my hand as I was sitting beside her on the chair with tearful eyes, my gaze not lifting up. I try to avoid her gaze cause if I do keep a contact with her eyes, I will break down completely. The one whom I dreamed to grow old with, with whom I wanted to spend my whole life is saying me goodbye.

I am hopeless, my muscles are numb. “Are you not looking at me?” she tries to find my face expecting me to speak to her but I don't cause if I do so then I am afraid my voice could crack.

“D-Did you tell this to Taehyung?” I ask, my voice almost cracks while my tears doesn't stop. As I don't get any answer, I then look up to face my wife. She first smiles and then shakes her head slightly. “I don't have any guts" she smiles but I can see the fear in her eyes, the fear of dying. “Neither do I" I mutter.

"Sungho-ya" she calls me and I break down in tears. I hug her to my chest as I burry my face on her shoulder. “Don’t leave me please" I say between my hiccups as I cry out my heart. “Everyone has to leave someday" she too whimpers, patting my back.

We both hug each other for the last time till our tears dry and then she slowly pushes me away, her eyes puffy as well as mine. “You have to go now" she sniffs and pats my suit, not looking at me. “Should I really have to do this?” my chin quivers, thinking how she had arranged a blind date with her friend who is also well known about my wife's health.

"I did it for you and Taehyung. She is a good person. She will take care of you and Taehyung” “But I can take care of Taehyung and myself alone” I protest and always have been protesting when she brought the topic about her friend.

Then my phone rings. I pull it out from my suit and look to the screen. Jeon Chohee-ssi, the screen displays. “It's her” my wife says when she glances at my phone.

"Honey I-" “Eomma Appa" the door abruptly opens up with Taehyung who just came back to hospital from the school hour. “Oh? Appa? I thought you were at work" Taehyung surprisingly looks at me. “Huh? Yeah I have an important meeting. I'll get going, take care of mom" I stand up and my wife smiles at me.

“See you later Appa" Taehyung happily waves at me and then sits beside his mom. In the mean time, what I hadn't known is my wife had secretly pulled out my phone and kept it inside the bedside cabinet.

_._

"Wasn't this the café she told me about" I read the café name while standing outside. “Let me call her" when I search my phone inside my suit, I couldn't find it anymore. “Mr. Kim Sungho-ssi?” a sweet female voice quickly makes me turn around. “Chohee-ssi” I mumble. “Did you wait long? I was stuck in the traffic. I am so sorry" she bows as she apologizes.

"No no no you didn't” I panic when she bows at me. “I too just got here" I quickly add so she doesn't misunderstand the situation. “Really? Let's get inside then" she smiles at me but honestly her smile doesn't flatter me. I am just doing this for the sake of my wife as she made me to promise her.

Hours has already passed but we both feel awkward to start a decent conversation. All we do is sip our cold drinks and then look around.

Present day

Taehyung widens his eyes when his father tells him exactly what had happened that day. For so many years he accused his father for leaving his mom in the last condition. That night Taehyung had seen his father with a woman at a café shop. The woman who is now his step mother, Jeon Choohee who is Jungkook's mom.

-"Sorry for revealing this late" Taehyung's father laughs, his laugh was more of an awkward.