Chap. 19

Lahore
______________________

Vania breathed deeply through her nose, trying to concentrate on her work.

Her mind however kept travelling to the person sitting next to her and his inexplicable behavior from the previous day. She shook her head for the millionth time to clear her thoughts and focused on her screen.

It shouldn't matter why he ran away.. She should stop thinking about him-- no, it already.

Vania clicked the print tab and waited as the computer was processing her request.

Suddenly a ping sounded, and her printer flashed red informing her that her inbox was out of pages.

Uuufffff.

She slapped a hand against her forehead cursing herself for not asking the Peon to refill it for her just as he left a few minutes ago..

...

Harris watched her from the corner of his eyes as she inhaled and exhaled in a puff, annoyed. He quickly switched his gaze back to his computer when she turned her head in his direction.

Apparently her printer was out of pages.

Vania got up asking around but unfortunately, the other three printers didn't have enough pages either. She huffed again.

No one had extra A-4s!!

No one..

Except, Harris.

Vania sat back down gently and cleared her throat.

*Ahem*

He ignored her.

*Ahem Ahem*

Still no response.

*Ahe--

"Anoushey," Harris suddenly leaned back in his chair.

Anoushey looked up in question.

"Aap ke pass Strepsils hon gey? I think kisi ka gala kharab hai..."

"Nope, sorry yaar.." Anoushey replied, shrugging.

"Gala kharab nhi hai.." Vania covered quickly and looked at Harris who rolled his eyes still pretending to be busy.

"Woh.. " She began, gathering her courage.

"Can.. I......" Licking her dry lips, "main pages le lun tumhari tray se?" She asked softly, her fingers crossed hoping for a positive reply.

"Nhi!" Harris answered impassive.

Her shoulders fell in disappointment at such a blatant response. But then again, this was Harris.

"Please? ... Warna mujhe basement se le ker aney pareyn ge. Salman Chachu chaley gaye na dusrey floor pe--" Vania tried again.

It was a rainy day, dull and gray. This meant that the basement would be colder and darker than it usually was and she hated going down there. She didn't want to disturb anyone for her though, because all of them had deadlines to meet.

"Toh jao phir, Not my problem. Main nhi de sktaa tumheyn pages." Harris grumbled disinterested.

Her lips wobbled and she frowned, "But.. Tum use bhi kar rahey--"

"Phir bhi nhi de sktaa." He declined.

She stared at him with eyes beseeching but Harris didn't budge.

Huffing, Vania got up from her chair and took involuntary steps towards the exit.

Why did he have to come here??!