Chap. 25

Vania couldn't stop staring at the thin pink line that raced across her palm.

She softly caressed her hand reminiscing his gentle touch, thinking of his distressed chocolaty eyes.

Harris cared.

Her eyes grew wet just thinking about him.

The cut wasn't deep. Didn't even hurt that much, and a part of Vania felt like she deserved it. Deserved far worse maybe. She had cut him deeper when she broke his heart so cruelly, this was nothing compared to that pain.

At least she knew this was an accident and he apologized, even tended to the wound so gently. Harris on the other hand, was left hurt and bleeding, with unanswered questions swarming in his head and no-one to complain to.

With her lies, he had lost his best friend, his love and his pride all in one moment.

Yes, she didn't have much of an option at the time, but that didn't mean she didn't wound him badly.

The one person he had ever opened up to, had confessed his love to, had promised his heart to... The one person he trusted with his life, had betrayed him in the worst possible way.

Sigh.

Vania swallowed looking skywards and blinking hard to keep the tears from coming out.

Of course he'd marry Airaa now. He should. She was far better than Vania could ever be. And if nothing else then, at least he'd be happy. Vania never deserved Harris anyway.

"Yeh larki Manhoos hai..."

The words slithered around her like the wind whispered. Reminding her. Making sure she never forgets the curse she carried.

"You're poisonous! You're a snake!"

Vania shivered, goosebumps rising on her arms as Airaa's voice hissed in her ear.

She looked down the railing, their quiet street, a small middle class neighborhood.

What had she dreamed... And what had she gotten.

"Mera guita kisne haanth lagaya?"

Another memory flashes through her head. An angry Harris storming down stairs with his guitar in his hand, a broken string visible on the top.

"Harris.. araam se betey! Kya hogaya hai?" Hafsa khala scolded him.

"Ammi mujhe pata hai yeh aap ke laadle ka kaam hai. Isko maine kitni dafa kaha hai mere guitar ko haanth nhi lagaya karey." He was furious.

"Haider!!" Hafsa called, and Haider swallowed giving Vania a pleading look. She sat curled up on the sofa gossiping with Hania before Harris had stormed in.

Hania shook her head at her brothers about to stop Vania from getting in the middle but she had already turned and spoken, "Haider ne nhi tora hai. Main baja rhi thi.. mujhse toot gayi string."

His face changed colours and he stood their unable to speak for a while and Vania could tell he was so very furious.

"Vani tumne—" he sputtered then huffed, "mere guitar ko hanth nhi lagaya karo."

"Tum khud sikha do. Kitni dafa kaha hai." She argued.

He huffed and turned without more fighting, "YouTube se seekh lo jaa ke." He left.