twenty ; doomsday part two

✰☾✰

chapter twenty ; doomsday

LUNA COULDN'T CONTROL THE TEARS ESCAPING HER EYES, SHE COULD HARDLY SEE STRAIGHT as the Cybermen pushed her, Jackie, and Yvonne forward.

"What happens in there? What's upgrading mean? What do they do?" Jackie asked Luna. Luna went to answer but another scream sounded and she froze, shaking in place, too scared to even move.

"I think they remove the brain," she grimaced. "Sorry. I think they remove the brain and they put it in a suit of armour. That's what these things are. They're us."

Luna nodded. "Y-yes," she replied shakily. "And they don't--they--" her voice cracked and Jackie went to grab her hand but the Cybermen pulled her back.

"Next." A Cyberman grabbed Yvonne and pulled her to the inside of the sheet.

"This is your fault," Jackie shouted. "You and your Torchwood. You've killed us all!"

"I did my duty for Queen and Country," Yvonne said proudly. "I did my duty. I did my duty. Oh, God. I did my duty." Sparks erupted from behind the tent and Yvonne's scream echoed in Luna's ears.

She struggled for breath, her body shaking uncontrollably. Luna felt as though she would faint.

"Next." The Cyberman pulled her forward an she cried out in fear.

"Please, no! Please--" But it was futile, the Cybermen never showed mercy, they didn't understand. But then it stopped, turning to another Cyberman.

"CyberLeader One has been terminated."

Luna's heart skipped a beat -- this was her chance.

"Explain. Download shared files. "

She glanced back at Jackie, how could she get her out of there in time? The other Cyberman holding her appeared to be downloading the same files and Luna quickly rushed towards her, grabbing her hand and pulling her through the sheets and through a door leading downstairs.

"Oh my god," Luna took a breath when they closed the door, trying to steady her heartbeat. "Oh my god, oh my god," she fought back tears, closing her eyes and shaking her head. "I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay..."

Jackie squeezed her hand. "You are, love. Let's go save Rose and find your Doctor, alright?"

Luna nodded, wiping the tears from her face with her free hand as they raced downstairs, as far down as they could go.

As they kept running downstairs, they stopped for a moment to catch their breath and Jackie's phone rang.

"Oh, my God, help me," Jackie answered and Luna squeezed the railing, closing her eyes and trying to steady her breath.

"Yeah, she's here too, here," Jackie replied after a moment, handing the phone to Luna. "Here."

Luna picked it up, hands shaking slightly and she waited in baited breath for the Doctor's voice. "Luna?"

Luna closed her eyes, a sob falling from her mouth. "Oh, god, Doctor..."

"I know, my moon, I'm so sorry, love, but tell me where you are and we'll come get you I promise. I'm not letting you go again."

She nodded. "O-okay, okay, okay...em," she looked around until she found lettering on the wall. "N3, it says N3, north corner staircase, third floor. Please hurry, Doc."

"I'm coming."

✰☾✰

The Doctor raced towards the doors holding the Daleks, and Rose, his hearts racing as his thoughts travelled to Luna. She would be fine. She had to be. Luna was strong, but her emotions and fear -- and the exhaustion from the recent events -- finally got to her and he wasn't sure how much longer she'd last by herself. Or with just Jackie for that matter.