seven ; rise of the cyberman part two

chapter seven ; rise of the cybermen

✰☾✰

"YOU OKAY?" MICKEY ASKED LUNA GENTLY AS THEY WALKED DOWN THE STREET. Luna nodded and he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Thanks for coming with me," he smiled. "The Doctor always goes after Rose and it gets old after a bit."

Luna looked at him for a moment, a fond smile on her lips. "Mickey, Rose is great. She is. She's smart and funny and warm and pretty -- but you? You're wonderful Mickey. You're friendly and easy-going and nice to talk to and you make every person feel heard. You ask silly questions -- but they always end up being important. Plus, you make me laugh more."

Mickey beamed. "I'm really happy you started traveling with us, Luna."

"Thanks, Mickey Mouse."

"Oh, no, really?"

Luna nodded. "I've been wanting to say it, I just...didn't feel like it was the right time."

"I hate you."

Luna gestured to a couple of soldiers standing outside an army roadblock. "What're you think they're up to? Could you imagine living like this?"

Mickey shook his head. "Nah, it's weird."

"Are we all right to get past?" Mickey asked.

The solider nodded. "Yeah. No bother. Curfew doesn't start till ten."

Luna and Mickey exchanged a look. "There's a curfew?" Mickey asked.

The soldiers laughed. "Course there is. Where you been living, mate? Up there with the toffs?"

Luna looked up to the zeppelins. She would never want to live up there. It's too close to the sky without being able to touch it. Besides, she didn't grow up loaded -- she couldn't imagine living in the highest state of things. Like a mansion in the air. No thank you.

"I wish," Mickey answered with a chuckle as the soldier let them through. "See you."

"You'd really wanna live up there?" Luna asked as they got past the soldiers.

Mickey shrugged. "I don't know. Could be cool. You'd be rich."

Luna shook her head. "I don't care for money that much. Then again, I'm a teacher so I suppose that speaks for itself."

Mickey laughed. "That's true," he squeezed her shoulders. "You don't really act like someone who wants for stuff though."

She tilted her head. "What'd'ya mean by that?"

He shrugged, taking his arm off her shoulders. "I just mean...you finish the Doctor's sentences and stuff. You know what you're talking about, you ask the right questions. You care a lot about things that he cares about and...y'know."

"Know what?"

He smiled. "Nothing. You're really oblivious for a smart person, Luna."

She laughed. "That's redundant, Mickey, what do you mean by that?"

"Nothing. Look," he pointed at a house door with the number 1 on it. "This it it."

"Your gran's house?"

He nodded. "Yeah, that's the one."

Luna ran a hand along his back, pulling him into a side-hug. "You okay?"

"Yeah," he let out a breath. "Okay, let's do this."

Mickey knocked on the door and braced himself, biting his lip as Luna watched anxiously. She didn't understand why she was nervous -- perhaps because Mickey was nervous and it made her feel worse.