twenty-eight ; the shakespeare code part two

chapter twenty eight ; the shakespeare code

✰☾✰

"WELL THEN, MYSTERY SOLVED," Martha concluded as she and Luna sipped on their drinks. The Doctor and Luna exchanged a shrug. Maybe that was it. But knowing the Doctor? It probably wasn't. "That's "Love's Labours Won" over and done with. Thought it might be something more, you know... more mysterious."

Luna nodded. "Alas, we're not meant to see such beauty."

Not a second later, a scream sounded from outside and the Doctor rushed from the inn, back downstairs and towards the noise. Luna and Martha followed quickly behind.

They made it just in time to watch Lynley, the man who disbanded "Love Labors Won", choking on water as it spewed from his mouth.

"That's that Lynley bloke from before," Martha said.

The Doctor frowned. "What's wrong with him?" He asked quietly. Luna shrugged -- she didn't have a clue. "Leave it to me, I'm a Doctor."

Martha rushed after him, checking on Lynley as well. "So am I, near enough."

Luna glanced around, trying to find a logical explanation for a man appearing to be drowning -- completely dry in the middle of an alley. She saw a woman scurry off and furrowed her brows, wanting to move closer, but a crowd formed and she didn't have the chance.

Lynley collapsed to the ground, despite Martha and the Doctor's efforts, and Luna and Shakespeare rushed to his side as well.

"Can't get the heart going," Martha attempted CPR. "Mr. Lynley! Come on, can you hear me?"

The Doctor walked off in another direction, looking for something. Luna glanced over at him curiously. What did he see? He jogged back to Lynley and Martha, kneeling down next to him.

Luna tugged Shakespeare forward, and they watched solemnly as the man gurgled on water.

"What the hell is that?" Martha asked the Doctor.

"I've never seen a death like it. His lungs are full of water. He drowned. I don't know, like a blow to the heart. A visible blow."

Luna glanced around again, the hairs on the back of her neck sticking up and she spotted the woman from before, up in a balcony. Her eyes narrowed in suspicion as the woman watched with deep interest. The woman seemed to notice her and she looked to Luna, who didn't avoid eye contact. The woman frowned, drifting back into the building.

Luna debated on going after her -- but with her prior death-rates, she figured it best to stay with the Doctor and Martha.

"Good mistress," The Doctor turned to the woman from the inn, who stood next to Luna and Shakespeare. "This poor fellow has died from a sudden imbalance of the humours. A natural, if unfortunate, demise. Call the constable, have him taken away."

"Yes, sir."

The woman from the balcony rushed down the steps and greeted the barmaid. "I'll do it ma'am," she reassured, eyes flickering to Luna's suspicious ones. She didn't make eye contact for long and Luna watched as she walked confidently back down the ally.

The Doctor and Martha spoke quietly to one another before they stood up, walking to Luna and Shakespeare. The crowd around them dispersed and the barmaid disappeared back into the inn.

The Doctor opened his mouth to speak but his eyes found Luna's hand on Shakespeare's arm, and remained there a few seconds. Luna dropped it slowly, smiling to herself. Shakespeare smirked and Luna shook her head.