twenty-five ; smith, jones, and peterson part one

chapter twenty-five ; smith, jones, and, peterson

✰☾✰

LUNA RAN HER FINGERS ALONG THE DOCTOR'S CHEEK AND JAWLINE, watching him with a small smile. It had been a few weeks since their encounter with John Lennon and they'd actually managed to stay out of trouble for the most part. They'd stayed aboard the TARDIS most days, reading and talking, occasionally they'd stroll through different planets and bazaars, doing a bit of shopping. Aside from a couple of angry aliens, a mishap with a boar and the King of New, New, New, New, New, New Earth -- they'd managed to simply enjoy each other's company.

But, they were travelers and they got bored being stuck at home and decided it was time for another grand adventure. There'd been some strange readings and a bit of electromagnetic interference and plasma coils around a hospital back on Earth, and the Doctor suggested they check it out.

And by check it out, he had the oh-so-clever idea to try and blend in. And he failed miserably. The Doctor checked himself in as a patient, and Luna pretended to be his wife, so they could check out the midst of the hospital and try to figure it out from the inside out.

They'd already given the Doctor three psychiatric exams and asked Luna loads of questions about her "husband." Luna didn't exactly have an answer to give them, explaining he was a method actor and sometimes pretended to be his characters in order to go more in depth with them.

They only half-bought it.

"Behave yourself," Luna told him gently, the fond smile seemingly ever-present on her lips. She adjusted herself on the chair and he grinned cheekily, sitting up further and pressing a soft kiss to her lips.

"When don't I?"

Luna let out a short laugh. "Every passing moment. Hush, the doctors are coming."

"I'm the Doctor..." he pouted under his breath as Doctor Stoker and a few fresh faces came into view, pulling back the curtain.

"Now then, Mister Smith, a very good morning to you. How are you today?"

"Oh, not so bad," the Doctor replied, winking at Luna. "Still a bit, you know, blah."

"John Smith, admitted yesterday with severe abdominal pains," Stoker explained, and Luna smiled at them all as he pointed do a dark-skinned woman. Luna's eyebrows furrowed together -- she looked remarkably like someone from Torchwood a few months prior. "Jones, why don't you see what you can find? Amaze me."

They both watched Jones walk towards them, putting her stethescope around her neck. "That wasn't very clever, running around outside, was it?"

Luna sat back a bit, watching across the bed as she examined him, raising an eyebrow at her comment.

"Sorry?"

"On Chancellor Street this morning? You came up to me and took your tie off."

The Doctor exchanged a look with Luna. He hadn't done that -- was there someone impersonating him? It wouldn't have been the first time. Or, perhaps it was a future him doing it in the past? Luna shrugged.

"Really?" The Doctor asked curiously. "What did I do that for?"

"I don't know, you just did."

"Not me. I was here, in bed. Ask the wife," he nodded to Luna. "She knows everything."

"It's true," Luna smiled at the woman.

"Well, that's weird," she frowned at Luna and the Doctor. "'Cause it looked like you. Have you got a brother?"