forty-one; human nature part two

Chapter Forty-One: Human Nature

✰☾✰

LUNA SAT IN HER OFFICE, GRADING A BOY'S ESSAY WHEN A KNOCK ON THE DOORFRAME SOUNDED.

Looking up, she spotted John smiling sheepishly at the entrance. She waved him in, standing and brushing down her dress.

"Afternoon, John, to what do I owe this pleasure?"

He entered, rubbing the back of his head — oh, the mannerisms of her Doctor were there and it made her want to cry — and walked until he stood merely a foot away from her.

"It's nearly lunch," he started, fidgeting a bit. It seemed as though even as a human, he needed to be constantly moving. "I was wondering if perhaps you would be inclined to take a walk with me." As she opened her mouth, he hastily added. "Don't feel obligated in-in the slightest, it's merely because you're new and I was hoping to help ease your comfort and—"

Knowing this would inevitably turn into one of his incessant rambles, Luna smiled softly and nodded. "I'd love to, thank you for offering."

His face brightened and he let out a sigh of relief. "That's wonderful, yes, thank you. Are-are you available now?"

"I am," Luna nodded, and a smile pulled at his face. He offered her his arm and she took it gently, allowing him to guide her from the room.

"What made you choose education?" He asked as they exited the classroom, venturing down the halls. "As a woman, it's a becoming market, but I've heard wonderful things about female educators."

Half-sexist, but given the time frame, she'd take it as a compliment.

"I've always loved helping others," she explained, thinking of her former teaching position before everything with the Doctor. Sometimes, she missed the simplicity of it. "And I love children and teaching is a bridge between the two, I suppose."

"And literature?" He prodded. "It can be tedious to study, and to teach it can be a nightmare."

Luna nodded, a faint smile on her face. "I prefer History, if I'm to be completely truthful," she glanced up at him. "But the position was filled, so I made due with my second favorite."

A light, nervous chuckle escaped him. "I hope I haven't interfered too much then, Miss Luna."

Miss Luna. Her heart stuttered at the name, and she wanted to wrap sweet John Smith into a hug and never let him go.

"Not at all, John," she brushed off his words as they existed the school. "Tell me, what brought you here? Why teaching?"

He looked thoughtful for a moment, as though he'd never really asked himself that question before. And, given the fact that three months prior he was an entirely different man, she wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't.

"I can't recall exactly why," he said slowly, looking at her with distant eyes. "I have...oh, it's silly."

"No," Luna shook her head immediately. "Nothing is silly if it garners your attention."

His lips quirked up. "I suppose..." He stopped walking, and she with him. He seemed to debate something before shaking his head and sighing. "I have this dream, often, of a woman."