twenty seven ; the shakespeare code

chapter twenty seven ; the shakespeare code

✰☾✰

LUNA COULD HARDLY HOLD IN HER EXCITEMENT as the Doctor piloted the TARDIS towards their destination. Luna gripped tightly to the side of the console as Martha stood next to her, gripping as tightly as she could.

"But how do you travel in time?" Martha asked the Doctor. "What makes it go?"

Luna grinned. "Oh, Martha Jones, we're going to get on just fine."

The Doctor looked between the two in exasperation. "Oh, let's take the fun and mystery out of everything. Reminds me of someone," he looked pointedly to Luna, who shrugged innocently. "Martha, you don't want to know. It just does. Hold on tight."

The TARDIS came to an abrupt halt and Luna jolted back, stumbling against the captain's chair. Martha fell back against the ground, looking up at the Doctor will a scowl.

"Blimey. Do you have to pass a test to fly this thing?"

"Yes, and I failed it," the Doctor brushed past Martha, grabbing his jacket and throwing it on, tossing Luna's woven sweater to her as she got up, walking behind Martha. "Now, make the most of it. I promised you one trip, and one trip only. Outside this door," the Doctor rushed to the TARDIS doors, leaning his back against them. "Brave new world."

"Where are we?" Martha asked in cautious excitement and the Doctor smiled.

"Take a look," he opened the door behind him. "After you."

Martha walked past the Doctor, stepping outside as he turned to look at Luna, holding his hand out. "See? I keep my promises."

She snorted, taking his hand with a fond smile. "When you feel like it."

His smile widened. "Come on, Luna Peterson, let's meet Shakespeare."

Luna bounced on her feet in excitement, squealing and grasping the Doctor's hand tightly. She gasped as they exited the doors. For as long as she'd been traveling with the Doctor, this was their first real historical trip. Of course, they'd experienced the Wire with Rose, but it wasn't as historical as Luna would have liked. They'd always gone to other planets or modern day, but this...

"It's amazing," Luna's mouth dropped open a fraction. After cramming history in her brain night after night for months on end -- to see it in person...Luna forgot to breath. The streets were littered with people in Elizabethan time period, donning big dresses and bonnets. A mild chatter drifted through the streets and Luna could smell something vaguely familiar -- chicken, perhaps?

"Oh, you are kidding me," Martha grinned, looking around in admiration. "You are so kidding me. Oh, my God, we did it. We travelled in time. Where are we? No, sorry. I got to get used to this whole new language. When are we?"

The Doctor smiled at them both, pressing a soft kiss to Luna's head. "Mind out!" He pulled Luna behind him, grabbing Martha.

A man in a house above them turned a bucket over and it splashed where Martha had been standing.

Luna grimaced. "Yeah, that's precisely why I don't wish I lived during this time."

"Sorry about that," the Doctor said to them both.

"I've seen worse. I've worked the late night shift A+E," Martha explained, "but are we safe? I mean, can we move around and stuff?"

"Of course we can," the Doctor nodded, bemused. "Why do you ask?"

The Doctor pulled Luna a bit in front of Martha, walking down the street, squeezing her hand tightly. She squeezed back eagerly, looking around in awed enthusiasm as Martha continued to ask questions.