27- dungeons (&dragons?)

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. 

I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature." 
― Jane Austen 

✵✵✵

Elaine was most probably thoroughly fucked.

Like seriously, badly fucked.

There was no way she would find her way out of these dungeons alive. Oh, how she already missed the sunlight, even if it was the cold November one still prevailing.

There was really only one person at fault for her misfortune. If James Potter hadn't asked out Lily Evans once again that evening, she wouldn't have left the Great Hall for Merlin-knows-where, even though she had promised to show Elaine the room where students were allowed to brew their own potions.

The fact that Lily had left meant that Elaine had to find said room on her own, seeing as none of her remaining friends would ever voluntarily brew potions in their free time.

And that was how she had ended up in her current situation, alone in the dark and cold dungeons of the medieval castle she still didn't know her way around fully.

If only James Potter wasn't so hopelessly infatuated with Lily Evans, everything would be fine.

"You are aware of the fact that this is the third time you have passed the same room, only to walk in a circle every time, are you?"

Elaine twirled around in shock, immediately holding her wand to the throat of the person that was surely out to give her a heart attack, only to lower it a second later.

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue.

"Do you always attack people when they want to help you?", James Potter asked cheerfully, holding his hands up as if he was mocking Elaine's careful stance.

"Only when they suddenly jump out of the dark", Elaine snorted, tucking her wand back into her jacket.

James didn't lose his chirpy smile for a second, instead throwing an arm around the Gryffindor girl. "What has got you wandering around the dungeons anyway? I doubt you will find anything worth spending your time with here", he wondered aloud, already pulling Elaine into a completely different direction than she had previously walked.

The French shot James a disbelieving look. "I literally wouldn't be lost if it wasn't for you", she defended herself, crossing her arms in front of her body. The marauder loosened his hold on her shoulder, stopping in his steps.

"Hey", he exclaimed, "What is that supposed to mean?"

Once again, Elaine snorted. "Lily wanted to show me the potions room for advanced students, but then you just had to go and make her leave"

An understanding look crossed James' face. "Right, she was embarrassed that she wanted to say yes to going to Hogsmeade with me"

Elaine's eyebrows shot up. "Keep telling yourself that, buddy", she told her friend, patting his shoulder.

James ignored her sarcastic comment, instead he seemed to ponder over something for a few moments. "If I told you that I could show you the way to that room, would you answer me a very important question honestly?"

Elaine glanced at the taller boy surprised. His voice had turned a lot more serious; the usual smile having left his face.

Did Sirius tell him anything?