6- quidditch

"There is freedom waiting for you,

On the breezes of the sky,

And you ask "What if I fall?"

Oh but my darling,

What if you fly?"

― Erin Hanson

✵✵✵

Elaine definitely sort of hated all the moments in her life that had led up to her being shaken awake at 7 in the morning on a Saturday.

"James will literally kill both of us if you don't get your ass up right now, El", a sleepy Marlene McKinnon whispered to Elaine, her face still sporting marks of her cushion.

"Stupid James Potter. Stupid Quidditch. Stupid me for wanting to try out", the French muttered as she made her way down the stairs to the Common Room, almost tripping over her feet. As she took in the sight in front of her, she was confused as to why Remus, Peter and Luana were all sitting on two couches together with James, Sirius and Marlene.

"You guys want to try out as well?", the Gryffindor voiced out her confusion.

"Please, I wouldn't last a minute on a broom. We're here to support you of course, stupid", Luana answered, shaking her head in the process.

"Well if you're so keen on supporting me, would you maybe be so kind and repeat that spell you used on your hair yesterday? I haven't found my wand yet and I really need some braids to be able to survive on my broom down there", Elaine asked her friend with big eyes, hoping her begging would convince the Dolohow.

"There is no time to look sexy! Shoulder your brooms and get going!", James exclaimed, almost hitting Elaine straight in the face with his broom. The girl was only able to duck down a mere second earlier, feeling the whoosh of the broom over her head. "Great reflexes Sauveur, that should help you on the field!"

"I'm sorry dearest Elaine for almost hitting you with my broom! Are you okay? I was quite worried about that", Elaine muttered, ignoring the 'compliment' given to her by James instead.

"C'mere El and let me do your hair", Luana laughed, amused by her new friend's antics. Upon raising her wand, Elaine's long hair began braiding itself in an easy pattern, creating two Dutch braids. "There you go, lovely. Now get going before Potter actually hits you and destroys any chance of you beating the other houses' asses", the feisty Gryffindor added, a huge smile prominent on her face.

"Ay ay, ma'am!", Elaine saluted, making quick work in following the others' footsteps through the portrait and down the stairs. As they reached the castle grounds, the young girl was able to breath in the frisky morning air, slightly cold from the night but the sunshine promising a warm day ahead.

While her heart still resembled a tornado of emotions, Elaine hoped she would be able to cut out all thoughts to focus on what was actually important in that moment: Quidditch.

Thankful that she had gotten a good night's rest and was able to cry out her eyes while protecting her bed with a 'muffliato' charm, the Gryffindor was now convinced that she should be capable of playing at her best skills.

As she entered the Quidditch stadium of Hogwarts for the first time, Elaine was utterly shocked at how many people had gotten up at this terrifying time in the morning to watch the Gryffindor tryouts. It wasn't even just Gryffindors, there were students from all other houses. Especially wary of the quite numerous Slytherin fraction at one side of the arena, Elaine decided to stick with her friends as she stood next to James and Sirius.